Chapter 14 (Lullaby)

Beautiful Disaster

Chapter 14

Lullaby

Hope

            I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. I slowly rolled over and looked to see that it was after twelve in the afternoon. I had slept way too late. I needed to go see Dem and tell him I believed him. I jumped out of bed and threw on some clothes not bothering to see if they matched or not. That wasn’t important. I grabbed my phone to see I had a missed call from Dem and a voicemail. As I bolted down the stairs almost knocking Hannah down me typed in my password and listened to the message. My heart dropped into the bottom of my stomach.

                        “Hope, please if you get this within the next three minutes call me back. It’s time. I just want to see your beautiful face one last time before I go. Please, Hope, there are so many things I want to say to you. The most important of them all is that I-.”

“No!” I whispered. I didn’t get to hear the last words. The message cut off before he said them.

“Hope, where are you going?” Mom asked as I blew past her not even answering her.

I jumped in my car and turned the ignition. I slammed it into gear and peeled out of my driveway. I was pulling into Dem’s driveway within seconds. I jumped out of my car not caring that I left the door open and the car cranked. I just burst through the door hoping I wasn’t too late. That I could tell him I loved him one last time.

“Dem!” I called as I made my way to the living room.

What I saw when I walked into Dem’s living room is something that I could never explain. The demon was literally dragging Dem towards the lit fireplace. He was fighting her; I could see the scratches in the hardwood floor where his fingernails dug into the wooden planks. Tears flooded down my cheeks as I watched the love of my life disappear into the fireplace. I didn’t know if he would hear me, but I called out to him one last time.

“Demetrious!!!! I love you!” I fell to the floor as sobs wreaked my body.

He was gone. My sweet, caring, and loving boyfriend was gone. Dem was the love of my life and I had just watched him being dragged to Hell. I don’t know how long I lay in the floor of Dem’s living room crying, but I knew I couldn’t stay here. If Kristy or Danny came in to find me like this I would never be able to answer their questions. I knew of only one place I could go where it would be safe to cry.

Numbly, I picked myself up off the floor and walked outside locking the door as I went. I walked over to my car and pulled the keys out of the ignition, shut my door, and locked my car. Where I was going didn’t require driving. I slowly walked to the park. As I made my way to our special tree I stopped for a second to watch a family playing. I couldn’t help but thinking that could have been Dem and I playing with our kids sometime in the near future. Fresh tears sprang up in my eyes and I hurried to our tree before they fell.

I carefully climbed up in the tree and sat on the branch we always sat on. I placed my hands on either side of me making sure I had a good grip on the branch so I wouldn’t fall. Not that I would care if I fell right now. To be honest any other pain would be better than what I’m feeling right now, which happens to be nothing. My body has gone completely cold and numb. I rub my fingers over the branch and feel something plastic. Being careful not to fall, I untie the plastic Ziploc bag from the branch. I pull out its contents and gasp as a new wave of tears overcomes me. I almost fall from the branch as I read what Dem wrote on the label.

                        My beautiful Hope. My Angel. Please watch this. You are not alone.

Love,