CHAPTER 23 -Hunter Exam-

Start from the beginning

"She was so happy to see that you'd grown up. But she was worried about you leaving home, so she asked me to check up on you. What a coincidence. I didn't know you wanted to be a Hunter. I'm trying to get a license for my next job." He said.

"I don't really want to be a Hunter. I just felt like taking the exam." Killua said with his head low.

"I see. That's a relief. Then I have some advice for you... You're not cut out to be a Hunter. You were born to be... a killer." Killua's brother said those words as if he's hypnotizing Killua with that black cat-like eyes of his gazing down Killua's frightened eyes.

Hearing those words, Rin clenched her bandaged fist. She didn't care about the pain in her palm, instead, those violated phrases were like gasoline fueling the fire that burned inside of her.

"You're a puppet of darkness, without passion. You don't want anything or wish for anything. As one who lives in the shadows, you can only feel pleasure when people die. That's how dad and I raised you. What would you accomplish by becoming a Hunter?" Illumi questioned him.

Killua's hand quivered slightly as he faced the ground.

"True, I don't desire to become a Hunter. But... I do have something I want..." Cold sweat dripping down his chin the second he said those words in a low voice.

"You don't."

"I do! There's something I really want!"

"Tell me what it is that you want."

Killua's eyes were wide and he lowered his head. Lips slightly parting as he tried to figure out the words he's going to say.

"There's nothing you really want, is there?" His brother concluded.

"That's not it!" He yelled. But then, he fell silent.

"I want to become friends with Rin and Gon... I'm sick of killing people. I want to become friends with Rin and Gon... And to live a normal life..." He confessed.

Rin's eyes widened as she heard his confession. She stared at Killua who had his face down.

"Killua..." She muttered.

"That's impossible."

Killua gritted his teeth.

"You'll never be able to make friends. Your only concern when you meet someone is whether you should kill them. That's how you were trained. You just don't know how to classify Rin and Gon because they're too dazzling for your eyes. You don't actually want to become friends with them." His brother said.

"You're wrong..." Killua faced him with trembled eyes.

"If you stay with them, you'll end up wanting to kill them one day. You'll get the urge to see if you can kill them or not. Because you have the soul of a killer..." His brother said to him.

His teeth chattered due to his quivering jaw, he clenched his teeth in an effort to keep the jaw still but still, but the fears didn't leave his eyes.

He was afraid.