CHAPTER 14 -Hunter Exam-

Third person POV

Night falls, the five of them were still waiting for Majitani to wake up. Unfortunately, there's no sign of him waking up any moment now.

Gon was standing at the edge of the room observing the arena. Noticing this, Rin decided to speak to Gon.

"Gon, is there something wrong?"

"Uh-huh." He nodded as he pointed his index finger towards the unconscious Majitani.

"What is it?" Rin seemed puzzled but then Killua arrived looking at where Gon had pointed.

"I get it..." He muttered.

"What is it? Come on don't leave me out of this." Rin pouted.

"It's, quite possible that he's already dead," Killua answered.

"What's that?" Hearing this from a distance made Leorio jerked his head.

"Well, it's been several hours, and he hasn't moved an inch." Gon said.

"Come to think of it... It's impossible for him to fell unconscious for hours from a single punch whether it's strong or not. The one I've punched regain consciousness after a half an hour." Rin concluded.

Leorio ran towards the edge of the room and cursed under his breath. "It's too far away for us to tell..."

"Hey! We want to check his body! He could be dead." Leorio yelled across the room.

"I've already told you, he's only unconscious." The competitor replied after taking a step forward.

"How many hours has it been? I can't just take your word for it!" Leorio replied with another yell.

"Then let's make a bet whether he's dead or alive." The competitor smirked.

"What would we wager?"

"Time."

"We will settle our match through a betting game, a gamble. And we'll use time, rather than chips. Look at the monitor on the wall. We each have fifty hours. However, we can only wager multiples of ten. We'll continue placing bets until one of us has no hours left." The competitor explained.

"We'll take turned deciding what to bet on. If you end up with zero hours, your time limit will also be shortened by fifty hours." She continued.

"And what if you end up with zero hours?" Leorio asked.

"Our sentences will be extended by fifty years. If these terms are acceptable, I'll check whether he's still alive."

"She's willing to risk extending her own sentence," Leorio said.

"Consider your answer carefully, Leorio. If you lose, we'll have fifty fewer hours to escape the tower." Kurapika warned.

"You're not one to talk. After all, this is all your fault for not finishing him off!" Leorio barked while Kurapika just folded his armed irritatedly.

"This is it, it's totally a trap. Our fifty hours are doomed." Rin sighed.

"How dare you say that! Have confidence in my gambling skill would ya!" Leorio shouted but Rin decided to ignore him because the gloomy atmosphere was still swirling around her.

"Hey, we shouldn't fight among ourselves!" Gon said.

"Right! I accept!" Leorio finally said it.

"Okay! I chose our first bet so you can decide how many hours we'll wager on whether he's alive or dead." The competitor said.

"I bet ten hours that he's alive," Leorio said with confidence.