CHAPTER 2 -Hunter Exam-

Rin POV

When the waves rose so large, the ship seemed like a toy, bouncing up and down on the mighty rising sea like a toy. There was no way to stay still within the ship unless one was anchored in place.

I swear if anyone had seasick, they'll be dead by now.

It's strange when the weather is great one minute and then you're caught in a massive storm the next.

In the corner of the room, I sat cross-legged to get a clear view of what was going on. Almost everyone in the room had an ashen face, some clung to a wooden bucket as if it were a life raft, while some were lying on the floor half-dead, unable to keep their eyes open.

Seriously, are they really dying?!

"Here are some herbs." Then I saw a boy in a green outfit aiding a man who seemed like he was going to vomit at any moment now.

As I glanced at the boy, I realised he was the only young boy around my age on this ship. 

'How interesting...'

Upon scanning the area, I noticed a young, blonde fair-skinned lad in a hammock, who appeared to be about two years older than me. He's reading a book nonchalantly, as if the storm didn't exist. That's quite the accomplishment. Unlike the spiky-haired boy, though, he was unconcerned by the presence of the others in the room.

There's also a man in the corner of the room who looks familiar to me. He was eating a green apple and complained about how sour it was.

Yes! That's right! He's the one that ignored my question at the port. It appears that he's also a candidate for the Hunter Exam. What an awful first impression.

With my chin resting on the wooden wall, I eventually let out a dejected sigh. Even now, I'm at a loss for what to do. I'm doing nothing but sitting here. Socially awkward? You might say that because I have no idea how to make friends.

Give me a break! My grandpa and I lived in the mountains alone. To put it another way, I'm as primitive as a caveman. I can't just go out there and say; "Hey, I'm new to the world! Can we be friends?"

That thought made me shrugged.

I used to remember when grandpa told me about The Legendary Son Goku. He said that he had a team of strong warriors called The Z fighters and they were all his precious friends. It was also revealed by Grandpa that Goku had always put his life at risk to safeguard what was important to him.

To what extent am I willing to put my own safety at risk for the sake of a friend?

Suddenly, the captain appeared in front of us, summoning the four of us before I had a chance to react.

"I called you guys here to answer my question. First, tell me your name," he started.

"I'm Gon!" The boy in the green outfit raised his hand in the air cheerfully.

"I'm Rin." I uttered my words with the same fervour as his.

"My name is Kurapika." The boy with the blonde hair said calmly.

"It's Leorio." The other guy followed.

"Why do you want to become a Hunter?" The captain continued.

"Hey! If you're not an examiner, you can't boss us around!" Leorio pointed his index finger to the captain.

"Just answer the question!"

"My dad is a Hunter. I left Whale Island because I want to know why my dad desired so much to be a Hunter." Gon replied, his eyes gleaming with enthusiasm.