Chapter 15

Molly woke up to the loud beeping of her alarm clock. She could already tell that that day was not going to be a good day. For one, it was raining, and for two, she had gotten no sleep last night. Something inside of her was restless. She felt like something horrible was happening or was going to happen. She had had sharp pains in her chest where the acorn around her neck rests.

She dragged herself out of her bed and shuffled upstairs to the kitchen to get some breakfast. When she was finished she went back downstairs to get ready for her day. She decided to wear her favorite hoodie, jeans, and tennis shoes. She examined her face as she lazily put her hair into a braid that rested on her shoulder. She looked so much like her mother. She decided that she was too tired to put makeup on and it really didn’t matter if she wore it or not today. She finished up some homework that she didn’t do the previous night and before she knew it, her ride was waiting in her driveway.

Her first four classes seemed to drag on forever. She looked outside, it was still raining, maybe worse than before. It was finally time for lunch. The pain in her chest was back, but she thought nothing of it. She went to her locker and grabbed the simple lunch that she had made herself earlier that morning and started down the hallway to the cafeteria. The pain in her chest was getting worse, but she walked past the nurse’s office, trying not to show evidence that she was in pain. As she neared the cafeteria the pain was getting worse and worse. She held her chest tight, gripping her necklace. As she passes, she looked out at the courtyard and watched the rain pour down. She stopped for a second to gather herself, trying to ignore the horrendous pain in her chest. She wished it would stop but it continued to the point where she couldn’t stand. She backed up until her back hit a row of lockers and she slid down. The hallway was crowded and she wondered why no one noticed her, were they all to busy with their own lives to care or could they really not see her? Finally, a teacher on her way to her classroom noticed her and crouched down beside her.

“Hun, are you ok? Come on let’s get you to the nurse.”

She shook her head no and mustered up the strength to say “No, I’m fine”

“No, you’re not; you need to go to the nurse.”

She shook her head no again. She leaned her head against the lockers and shut her eyes tight. When she opened them, the teacher was gone and so was everyone else that had been in the hallway. She looked around, trying to figure out where everyone had gone. She didn’t think that it was possible, but the pain in her chest got worse. She suddenly heard a noise that was like a whizzing, the type of noise that you would hear if an airplane or an atomic bomb was falling from the sky. She looked at the courtyard as a blur hit the ground and a wave of mud hit the windows from the impact. The pain in her chest hurt worse than ever but she got up and ran towards the doors. She crashed through the glass doors into the courtyard and she ran to whatever had just fallen out of the sky as fast as she possibly could. When she got to it, she held her chest, gasping for air, trying to keep herself from passing out. For what lay on the ground by her feet, what had just fallen from the sky, was a boy.

The rain was still pouring down. She got on her knees and put his head in her lap. She felt his pulse, he was still alive. How the hell could anyone survive a fall like that? She thought.

“Hey, hey wake up” she said, slapping his cheek lightly, “wake up!” She gripped her chest again and moaned, it hurt so badly that she didn’t think that she could bear it any longer.

“Dude-wake up!” she yelled, slapping his cheek a little harder and hoping that she wasn't about to have to perform CPR on this boy that had just fallen out of the sky.

His mouth opened a little and his eyes fluttered, opening a bit to show his deep brown eyes. The moment she saw his eyes, the pain in her chest was gone.