On And Off Line

I smiled as I approached my best friend, sneaking up behind him. It was the first day back from summer vacation, and we hadn't seen each other in two months. 

"GAR~GAR!" I screamed, jumping on his back. He looked up and behind himself, looking at me. 

"Hey Aph!" Garroth let me down and pulled me into a friendly hug. We backed away, smiling happily. "How was your summer?" 

"Amazing! I finished all the casual stories on Mystic Messenger and I got that game you were raging about, Diaries, and met this really cool guy!" I squealed, recalling my summer memories.

"Really?! So-" Suddenly, the bell rang through campus, telling us it's time for class.

"That's the bell, bye Garroth!" I quickly hugged him before running off toward first period, the guy from Es on my mind. 

His name is GR.OK, and his character is a knight. We met during a fight, my first actually. He was a beta tester, but he liked being called a beater. 

GR.OK quickly became known throughout Diaries as the beta tester that trumped all others. But I, well I wanted to beat him. I trained and fought hard, and a couple of my strong friends and I formed a guild called the Phoenix Alliance. I became second in command, and soon our guild became the top guild in Diaries. 

One day, I was in charge of running a meeting on how to defeat the next boss. Guess who showed up to that meeting?

GR.OK.

I explained the plan to everyone, and he decided to speak up. He told me that making the boss kill NPCs as a distraction was not right, and we should find another way. I told him that that was the plan and I'm not changing it, and that shut him up. 

Later that same day, during a break from dungeon clearing, I realized GR.OK was no where in the dungeon. I searched through the town and found him laying under a tree, asleep. Filled with anger, I charged up to him and kicked him in the side. 

"Look at you! Everyone is out there clearing dungeons and you're out here napping!" I yelled at him. "I get you're a solo player, but you need to play your part in getting everyone outta here too!" 

"I bet you didn't know this is Ru'an's nicest season, Shorty," GR.OK stated simply, keeping his eyes closed. "And that today it's at it's nicest weather setting. You see, Shorty, entering a dungeon and spending all day in there fighting would be such a waste on a day like this."

"MY NAME ISN'T SHORTY! IT'S IRENE!" I yell at him, before taking a deep breath to calm down. "Do you not understand, beater? We have to keep fighting so we can complete the game and it's 100 levels! Don't you wanna complete the game and get to level 100?"

"Imma call you shorty if I wanna call you shorty, Shorty." GR.OK smirks as I silently growl. "And we're not on level 100, are we? Nope. We are alive, kinda, and on level 40. As a very wise cartoon character once said, 'Why don't you let yourself just be wherever you are!'."

 My eyes widened, as I felt the wind blow. "See?" GR.OK continued. "The wind and sunlight feel so good." I quickly shook off the feeling. 

"Do they? There's nothing special about this weather." I scoffed, putting a hand on my hip and rolling my eyes. 

"If you'd lie down for a bit, you'd understand." 

I looked around to see no one around before looking back down at GR.OK, who had already fallen back asleep. I decided that laying down for a bit couldn't hurt anyone just as long as I don't virtually sleep. 

The next thing I knew, I had fallen virtually asleep. 

That day, I learned to enjoy the game instead of rush to finish it. 

That day, GR.OK and I became an inseparable pair. I loved him, and he loved me. Today, after school, we agreed to meet so we could come up with a date to meet each other IRL, and I can't wait. 

~~~

As soon as I got home, I ran upstairs and put my Nerve Gear on. 

I logged in to find myself inside GR.OK and I's house on level 66, the woodsy level of the game. I smiled, opening up the log and picking out a new outfit to meet my in-game boyfriend. I picked out a black skirt, black combats, and a lilac baseball tee. I looked at my avatar in the mirror, my pearly white skin and dark black hair popping out against my dark, almost emo clothing. I giggled at how I looked, still not used to how I looked. 

I took a deep breath before pulling up the menu again and teleporting myself to level 53, the level of gardens. I walked around for a bit before heading over to the rose garden, which was our usual meeting place. I sat on the small bench and waited for GR.OK. 

Suddenly, there was a pair of hands on my eyes. I smiled and turned around to see him, my boyfriend. He was tall, but then again everyone was tall compared to me. GR.OK wore a pair of gray joggers and navy sneakers, which were paired with a navy blue hoodie. The dark colors contrasted with his pearly white skin tone, blonde hair, and violet eyes, making me melt right there. 

GR.OK pulled me close into a soft kiss that felt real. I pulled away and smiled, looking into his gorgeous and unique eyes. 

"So, Shorty, when do you want to meet in the real world? I'm starting to get impatient." GR.OK smirked, pulling up the menu and turning on soft classical music. He then pulled me close again, but this time he started to slow dance with me. 

"Well, I was thinking tomorrow. Trust me, I'm just as impatient as you." I topped him as always. 

"Works for me, Shorty. How about seven o'clock at the Hot Topic in the Drop of Sun mall?" He asked, spinning and dipping me.

"Sounds perfect." With that, he pulled me into another kiss. When we separated, he picked me up bridal style. 

"I'll be in a pair of gray joggers, like these, and a Peridot sweater." He described leaning his forehead against mine. 

"I'll be wearing a pair of black leggings and a Lapis Lazuli sweater." I giggled, pecking his lips. 

"I'm sorry Shorty, but my father is calling me for dinner. I have to go." I climbed out of his arms and hugged him goodbye. But before he logged out, he turned around and picked a purple rose from the flower garden.   

"Tomorrow?" He asked, offering the rose. 

"Tomorrow." I smiled and accepted the rose. With that, GR.OK logged out.