Panic

Dan POV

The machine made the noise I dreaded to hear. The constant buzzing noise that made Lucy scream. The noise the made me sink to my knees and squeeze her still warm hand. The noise that the nurses rushed into and we were all shoved into the living room. The noise that made me nauseous.

I had been selfish ever since she had slipped away. Eight months ago I met Katie. She was kind hearted. All she did was paint and drink coffee. Her hair red like fire and eyes blue like Tara's. Kyle said it was me coping, I didn't believe him till we stopped touring two days ago. Katie had been telling me to stop talking about Tara. Stop caring because 80% of people in comas don't wake up. Katie wanted a family, a husband, a house. I wanted it too, but then it hit me. I sat there looking at the tv when she packed her bags, the guy she'd been fucking while I was gone on tour was waiting for her by the door as I stayed silent. I was hooked on the semi dead girl.

"I can't do it Dan... I'm sorry... I couldn't wait any more." She mumbled looking down at her red flats and wearing the polka dot dress she loved. "I'm sorry... Bye Dan."

"Bye" that was all I could say to her before she left. Kyle then proceeded to tell me the next day she had made a noise. Now she was dead. I had fucked up. I could have visited more. She could have woken up if I had visited more. Said I loved you more. Like a coward I couldn't face the music.

"She's stable." I lifted my head hearing the doctor walk out and stop in front of us. "She's asleep... She's out of her coma... I will watch her vitals for a couple more hours from the screening room. Just try not to get her too excited if she wakes up before you all go." I nodded before standing and slowly walking into the room. The tubes were gone and the only thing left was the monitor wires. Her flower was on the nightstand now and hair slightly tangled.

"Hey you... You're gonna wake up soon they say." Lucy sat down on one side while I sat on the other. The others waited in the living room. "Can't wait to show you Bella. She's a doll. She's already got so many outfits." I played with her fingers, staring off into the distance when the movement startled me. The slight squeeze of my hand and a cough from her so weak.

" Hey Tara?"

"Mmm" she groaned her face scrunching up before her eyes cracked open. "Light." I quickly turned the light off, only the tv light shown in the room. Slowly she opened her eyes half way. " Please say... You saved some of that awful... Chinese food." I laughed softly before nodding.

"We've got a bit left." Lucy stood and got some of the white rice, putting a tiny spoon full to which Tara inhaled.

"O gosh.. So... Good. You all... Have been... Killing me this year...."

" You heard everything?"

" Yes..." Lucy gave her another bite before her eyes began to get heavy. Then they closed, she was once again asleep. Relief and worry was all I could feel. She had been awake and spoken, yet I now knew she had heard us. Had she heard us all this time? That night I didn't leave neither did Will. I slept in the sofa in her room while he slept on the sofa in the living room. I awoke to a short Hispanic woman feeding Tara something that included lettuce and eggs as I could see from my view.

"Ahh hola prince charming." She laughed as did Tara weakly.

"Mum I would like you to officially meet Dan."

"Hello." I smiled before putting on my glasses and going to sit beside her bed. "You must be Kiki's mother."

" Yes Tina, and partially Tara's." Tara took another bite before raising her finger. Tina sat the container down and closed it before letting her sip on the water. She gave a nod thank you before taking a breath.

"Do I get to leave soon?" Her eyes looked to me before I shrugged.

"I.. I don't know. They haven't said anything as of yet." I took her hand, gently holding it in mine. "I haven't heard your voice in a year..."

"Yeah... It's not your fault I got sick Dan. So... Tell me about her... About Katie?" My heart sunk, she squeezed my hand as I looked in her eyes. "I didn't expect you to wait for me..."

" We broke up. I kept talking about you. She wanted to settle down and I... I was still hanging on. When we went on tour she found someone and well. Left me."

"I'm sorry." She mumbled. Tina had begun massaging her legs, a sigh of relief left her. "Mama gracias."

"De nada. Now please stop with your Spanish, you will butcher the language with that Irish accent." We all laughed softly, Tara wiggling her toes with much effort.

"Did they say anything about me being able to walk again?" I shook my head before taking a deep breath.

"They haven't said anything love. You want me to go get the doctor?"

" Please." She mumbled before lowering her head. I went out into the living room then to the white door, it was no longer locked so I pushed it open.

" Hello? Can I get a doctor?" The nurse down the hall nodded and turned out of sight, a doctor now walking down the hall and shaking my hand.

"Hi, I'm Doctor Roberts. What wrong?"

"She's awake."

"O... Well that is a surprising turn. She wasn't expected to wake up till closer till this afternoon." He led the way to her room where Tina was still massaging her limbs. "Tara how are we feeling?"

"Awake... Other than that... Weak."

" Well let's go over your chart..." He went to the bottom of the bed and grabbed the clip board. " Your muscle mass is severely depleted so many physical things you aren't going to be able to do right away. It seems your mom here is a smart woman because getting blood flowing through your body is going to help get that initial function back. As for your memory can you tell me how you got here?" She looked at him for a moment before shaking her head.

"Umm I just remember Dan getting home... And... Some men brought me here cause I wasn't feeling well..." She blinked a few times. "Dan made them bring me here." Her eyes narrowed at me, almost out of anger for a moment before she looked back to the doctor. "I helped kill someone."

" We'll work on your memory love. For now I think it be best if we keep to the routine. Once you're able to take care of yourself we'll talk about going home."

"I don't want to stay here. No..." Her monitor was racing, the doctor stepping forward.

" Tara you need to stay here and get better." Tears left her eyes as she shook her head.

"No... No... Someone here made me sick! No!"

" Tara! Please calm down. Do not make me sedate you."

" Dan don't go. They're gonna make me sick again! Mama!" Then she fell back, Roberts sedated her, just like that without a approval from anyone.

"Tara?" Tina mumbled before stroking her hair back. " Why did you have to do that? The poor girl has been asleep for almost a year!"

"Ma'am she is going through what we call hallucinations. She will need to possible be restrained. Visiting hours are going to have to be set." I shook my head, looking at her now limb body. Quickly I woke Will and headed to find Evans and Steven. They had to know about their Doctor Roberts on base.