Tormented Dreams

Tara POV

" Mom?"

"Tara!" I ran following her voice from down the hall. She began screaming as I got closer then I forced open the door. There laid before me was Kiki, the smell was overwhelming. I couldn't ever forget that smell it plagued my senses for days. The rotting skin, the blood pooling.

"Kiki...." I whispered before a force knocked me down, a fist connecting to my jaw. It was never ending. The pain wouldn't numb, it was all in my head.

" She is dead! Your next now what were you two looking for on the base!"

"Tara help!" I glanced over, it was as if time was rewinding, Kiki's fingers were severed, her screams filling my head. "Don't tell them! You can't!"

"Kiki!" I screamed as I sunk to the floor, I was shaking, why I didn't know till my my mom stood over me. My body calming though trembling. It was so cold, I could remember the room and the darkness it always held.

"Baby girl... Wake up... Tara! Tara! Love wake up!"

My eyes shot open, everyone was looking at me, Dan caressing my cheek, sweat beading on my face.

"I'm sorry..." I mumbled sinking into his embrace. My body was throbbing, the wound from the bullet especially.

"It's alright... It was just a bad dream." He sighed and laid back down holding me on the sofa. Lucy sighed and looked over at me with this pitiful expression.

"You wanna talk about it?" I shook my head before closing my eyes and burrying my face under Dan's chin. His scent slowed down my heart, but I couldn't sleep. Not with her on my mind. Before long I eased myself out of his embrace and at a snail's pace went down the hall to the bedroom. It was almost how I left it except for the clothes piling up in the corner. I tugged off the hoodie and clothes, changing into a pair of jeans, short brown boots and a black sweater that loosely fit for my bandages. The clock read six, what was I to do other than snoop. With the aid of the wall I made my way to the studio room and sat down, taking a look at the tapes sitting on the table. An Act of Kindness filled my headphones I had slipped on, a smile crossing my lips. Then Warmth played, the smile never faltering. He was a great writer, I had no doubt he'd nearly finished the album. Though there was nearly a hundred different recordings sitting around stored on tapes. I nearly jumped feeling someone lift the head set off and warm lips press against my neck.

"You don't listen do you? Couldn't sleep?"

"I had to check on you.... Wesley contact you at all?"

"No, it seems he trusts you." I laughed as Dan pulled me closer to him and smiled. "You avoided the sleeping question love."

"Nightmares... Once I'm up... I'm up." I shrugged before taking a deep breath. "I'm sorry..."

"For what?" He lifted my chin, gently stroking my cheek. Even this small motion hurt, but I wouldn't push away the one person that I'd let in this far.

"For putting you through this."

"You didn't do anything Tara. You did what you had to so that you could come home to us. It was hell watching that happen to you..." His eyes were glued to me, softening me like clay and water. He could weasel his way in with that expression and blue eyes.

"It's funny because my nightmares are of KiKi... They fucking killed my best friend." This was my undoing, the tears left as I placed my forehead on the table top. "I couldn't fucking save her..." Tears turned to sobs as Dan rubbed my back. "All I see is her and them... Her fingers are missing and there is blood just pouring from her... She's screaming at me. Telling me don't tell them. Don't give them the information. I don't... I don't give it to them... Even when they tie off her thighs... And the cutting... Her screams." I wanted to throw up and I did. In the bucket next to the mixing table. My body heaving in pain. Dan grabbed a wash cloth in record timing, cleaning my bottom lip before carrying me to the bed. He didn't say anything before he left, it was obviously to toss out the trash. His return silenced my cries, my body exhausted with that small acitivty.

"You threw up blood... You're irritating the wounds in your throat." His body molded to mine on the bed, a sigh passing my lips. " You know Kiki forgives you... You did what she asked and protected whatever it was you knew."

"I didn't save my best friend... I feel inhuman. Everyone tells me... I'm like my mother. She had been interrogated so many times that she got the nickname Treasure. She was the perfect spy. My father was the Knight. He always protected her."

"They did this too?"

" Yeah... The bomb that killed them was an enemy, though everyone thinks obviously the wrong people were targeted. I had to finish the job... That's why I left. I didn't want to because I had a normal life and it was fun. Now I feel tired... As if I just wasted all this time..." He kissed my shoulder and pulled the blanket up.

"You're here... Living. Smiling through it all."

"Daniel?"

"Yes?"

"Show me the calm in life... Show me the clouds as they roll in... The peacefulness in this wild world."

"Only if you show me the storm."

"I'll show you everything I can... I'll protect you." He chuckled softly.

"How ass backwards. I should be protecting you. Get some more rest. I'm not letting you out of the bed without more rest." I grumbled and placed my head on his chest, the calm heartbeat was like a lullaby. "I love you Tara."

"I love you too... Why I don't know... I just feel at home with you." Before I knew it, sleep over took my aching body. I was falling for this man, but the secret I was holding would possibly shatter it all.