Regression Recovery

Tara POV

One year and four months since I was tortured. One year one month since I laid beside his warm body and slept peacefully. One year two days since I slaughtered someone into pieces and felt good about it. One year since I saw those blue hues looking into mine from the other sofa with no words exchanged. Eleven months since I felt something real. Six months since I last heard his voice and felt his tears hit my skin. Six months since his lips touched mine. One month since I heard Lucy and her baby cry. Two weeks since Kiki's parents visited and said thank you. One week since Woody and Will watched black hawk down in my room. One day since I heard Kyle's tales.

Wait. Did I mention... Ten months since I slipped into a coma. My luck right?

"Dan's doing good if you're wondering. He wants to come see you. He really does." It had been Kyle's routine off and on for the past ten months to visit in the morning. Though they were touring off and on. Finally though they had a month off. Which meant comfort. Someone to hear. "He's scared though. That this is his fault. The doctors say it was the injection you were given took a long time to effect you. You're a fighter though and... So here you are... It hasn't taken you away yet." He sighed, sipping on his coffee. Gosh how I longed for coffee and food other than the shit being forced into my stomach. "Lucy and the baby are doing great. I can't believe the little bugger is almost five months old." His hand grabbed mine, it was warm, so warm and comforting. I would have squeezed back, said I could hear you. Then again maybe this was all in my fucked up head. I heard the door open, the familiar Latino voice made me want to smile, of course I couldn't.

"O, hello... Sorry I can come back later."

" No no, please join. I'm Kyle, her boyfriend's best friend."

"Tina, Kiki's mother... And Tara's nearly adoptive mother."

"You adopted her? When?" I heard her sit, finally once again my dirty laundry was coming out to be washed.

"She came to live with us on base... She was older than 18 but she loved us and we loved her very much. We called her daughter. We never really adopted her legally. After Kiki died we moved and... Just last week I heard what happened. She was a good girl. Always protecting our daughter. She would have given her life for her if she could have back then." Her hand squeezed mine before she began to massage lotion into my hand then arm. " My poor thing... So stiff. They do not move her limbs enough! How will she ever wake up, if she does she'll be stuck." She cursed away in Spanish as Kyle laughed slightly then began to do the same to my other arm. It felt so relieving and so good to be moved and bent. I whinned from relief, Kyle let go quickly.

"O bloody hell." He laughed slightly and once again began to massage my arm with the lotion. Another sound refused to leave, the first one took so much energy. "At least I know you're in there some where Tara. Maybe we'll all come by tonight alright and watch a movie. Something funny. Not that crap Dan watches." Kyle let go as Tina rubbed my legs, grumbling.

"They shave her legs but don't moisturize. Jesus guide these people." Kyle laughed before I heard him toss his coffee cup in the trash.

"Nice to meet you Tina. Bye Tara see you tonight." With that the door clicked open then closed. Tina sighed softly and wiggled my toes, the sensation of motion was thrilling.

"You didn't tell me you had a boyfriend. Is this his picture? He's got beautiful eyes... And you're smiling. O chica!" I heard her lift the picture frame off the table beside me. I had no idea when that had gotten there. "His hair style is definitely unique." Yup that was most definitely a Dan photo considering that comment. "You'll have to introduce me when you wake up." She sat the picture down. I felt her wash my limbs, the scent soap was lavender, Kiki's favourite. She moved me around then properly washed my hair and even dried it before combing it. If I could have cried I would've. It felt so good to be properly cleaned and have someone care. "Now you look like a lady again." She laughed her little laugh before I felt her begin to fix my nails, cutting and cleaning them. "I remember you and Kiki would paint each other's nails all the time. Let's do red eh?" A couple hours later and I must have looked great. My nails were done, I was clean, and even a hibiscus flower was tucked into my hair. "Now you rest, I will come by tomorrow after breakfast with papa Carlos. I love you my little princess." Her lips pressed against my head before she uses her thumb to get the lipstick off. Then silence. The door closed and I was left alone. I hadn't counted the hours I spent like this, the silence making me want to cry.

Excitement rose hours later when I heard the door open in the living room then my bedroom. I felt lips press against my head, his scent invading my nose and fingers lace with mine.

" Hello love... Who got you all dolled up?"

"Kiki's mother... She got her to make a noise. She and I were massaging her arms and she groaned just slightly. More than I've heard the whole time." Dan sighed and I felt him sit on the bed.

"You look beautiful. Your hair has some life to it." Goose bumps rose on my arms, a laugh escaping him before he sniffled. "I love you. We've got really shitty Chinese food to eat and I know you'd love it. Woody got some stupid movie called central intelligence. Though I'm sure you would like it..." He moved from the bed and sat down. I heard Kyle huff and Woody as they sat on the sofa. Then there was the faint whining from Lucy's baby as she sat. Will was nearby, I could hear him clear his throat. Dan was right, the Chinese food was awful, I could smell it as if it was in my face. The movie sounded funny, I would have loved to laugh. "I shouldn't have come Kyle."

"Why Dan? I know it hurts seeing her like this... But it doesn't help to ignore it and hide from her."

"I feel like she's here because of me..."

"I know you still love her. You and Katie didn't work out cause even with her here you still couldn't move on." Katie? My mind was running a mile a minute. He didn't visit not because he couldn't handle it, but because he moved on.

" She broke up with me Kyle."

"I know you're glad..."

"I can't say I'm not." Sensation of touched went first. Then the thumping of my heart before the flat line noise filled my ears.

One minute since I died.