Past Part 2

Dan POV

My mind was racing over today's events, this Tara girl was amazing. Someone you'd want to bring home to mom and be proud to show off. She was a bad girl though, smoked way too much in the short time I had spend with her this afternoon and already she'd asked me on a sort of... date. I changed my shirt, glancing in the mirror at the body I'd been dealing with, I always said it could have been worse. Then again I weighted a lot more a mere year ago, my older sister had helped me start to lose weight. Though I did use alcohol to make it easier and starve occasionally. It was difficult, I admit, but hopefully college gave me a chance to change.

The alarm began to go off as I hit the button on my clock and quickly rushed out the door, fighting my way through the crowded hall when a fist connected with my face, a groan passing my lips.

"Careful Smith!" Dusty laughed before I stood up and shot him a glare, fixing my shirt and continuing along. Thankfully my glasses were securely in my pocket, mother always told me only wear them when I need them. I didn't want to say anything back to him, I was too scared to anyways even if I wanted. I was breathless by the time I got to the meeting point, before long she and her friend Lucy came along, both looking gorgeous, I was not worthy. Tara made me feel comfortable, like a girlfriend almost. She was easy to talk to and to drink with, I could have gotten lost in her words until she had asked me to go get another bottle. Like a puppy I did what I was told and wandered over to the bar and ordered the same bottle we'd had just polished off.

I glanced back at the table from the bar, still waiting on the bottle of whiskey, she was missing. I blinked a few times before slowly walking back, completely forgetting the bottle and sitting down. Already the small amount of happiness was draining from me until Lucy came over and shook me slightly.

"Hey? Hey? Where did she go?"

"I...I don't know." I mumbled lowering my eyes. "It's my fault..I'm sorry."

"Daniel no no... it isn't love. Lets check her dorm eh?" She grabbed my hand and we walked along out of the bar, people looked of course. They were confused as to why a pretty girl was walking along with me more than likely. Lucy picked the lock to Tara's door, flicking on the light. It was surely her room. Records lined the shelves on the wall, everything very neat, yet lacking the overall female touch that most other women had. "She's gone..." Lucy mumbled before sitting down on Tara's bed and looking around.

"How do you know? This room looks pretty complete." I mumbled, looking around till I noticed a photo hanging near the mirror on the wall and a note. "Dear Lucy, it really has been a fun time hanging around with you. It was nice acting normal and some how surviving the loss of my parents, but you really helped. Please do something with this stuff, find it a home. Take care of Daniel, he needs a friend. You can see the sorrow in his smile, it is forced like mine once was last year. I wish you the best Lucy. -Tara x"  I sat down and looked around the room before sighing softly. I felt nauseous, maybe it was my nerves or maybe it was the liquor. Lucy moved to sit beside me and pulled me into a hug, she was cry on my shoulder, looking at the note in my hands.

"We gotta stick together Dan... you and me. Gotta protect each other..." I ran my hand along her arm as I sat back and let her continue to use my shoulder as something to rest on. All I could do was nod before sitting the note on the cushion beside me and taking a deep breath.

"Yeah Lucy, we'll stick together.... Why... Why did she leave?"

"I... I dunno.... She was never really the same once her parents died."

"O... I hope you don't mind me asking, but how did they die?"

"Car accident, they died instantly. She said she needed to go take care of her family's affairs and that she was gonna leave this weekend... I just didn't think she meant tonight..." I looked down at my hands then up at the ceiling with my head against the cushion.

"She told me to look after you... she kissed me. I don't know why she was so good to me today."

"She's kind on the inside... Listen Dan... go get some rest we'll hang out tomorrow and clean up this room and take it day by day alright?" I stood and pulled her into a hug before sluggishly walking out of the dorm and to my own in the next building over. My room a disaster all except my bed where I sat down and took my glasses off.

The next day I did help clean that room out. After that I was numb. Focused on a girl whom was in my life for a day. Alcohol to aid the pain and once again I was going down the path that my sister had told me to avoid. Self destructing as I sat in my room, writing lyrics about a mystery girl like a fool. What is wrong with you Dan? Why are you so soft?