The Past

"Give em back!" I lit a cigarette between my rose brims watching the scene unfold before me. Freshman year and already this poor kid was getting bullied. His black hair a mess and his figure slightly chubby. If he was a prick like the rest of mankind I would have laughed and egged on the two to keep taunting the newbie.

"Oi look at him jump!" Billy and Dusty laughed hoisting the glasses up in the air with his long arms. I shook my head and jumped off the railing I was sitting on and walked over, shoving Billy whom was holding the glasses. His eyes grew wild, startled by the sudden jolt.

"You really don't get off unless ya cruel to someone eh?" I snatched the glasses out of his hand and stood in front of the now silent freshman.

"Tara you always got yourself a bloody attitude. We were just playing."

" Fuck off ya? Ya lucky Tim ain't around, he'd kick your arse for being such a prick." Dusty smirked before I reached into my pocket of my black jacket. "Don't fuckin test me."

"Let's go... She's crazy." Billy mumbled before him and Dusty turned and went off along their way.

"Sorry about that..." I mumbled turning around and handing the guy his glasses, which he cleaned and quickly adjusted on his face. "My name is Tara. Yours?"

" Daniel... Thanks..." He laughed weakly before turning around to go off, I merely followed after and cleared my throat.

"Want me to show ya around?"

"Uhhh... Sure?" He shoved his hands in his pockets as we walked along the campus grounds. "So... You're from Ireland?"

"What gave it away? The red hair or the accent?" He laughed as I glanced at him, lighting a new cigarette.

"'Possibly a bit of both... Why did you help me?"

"Because I've been in your shoes... They were pricks to me too when I was a freshman except I didn't take their shit." A smirk crossed my lips as we walked into one of the buildings the loud music always thumping along. Parties were constantly going on around here. "Let's just say you should avoid this building at all costs. They'll bully the hell out of ya here." He nodded slowly as we walked out the nearest exit door. I had him read like a book, and only one word fit him... Awkward. His shell needed to be cracked.

" Hey tonight a friend and I are going to the bar... You wanna join?"

"Uhhh... You know..."

"Great! I will see you at 10 tonight by the front office we'll walk from there?" I wasn't taking no for an answer, he seemed down and in need of some fun. A smirk crossed my lips as I walked off towards my dorm building. I was fortunate enough to have a dorm to myself, after all the female enrollment numbers had been low. Silence was overwhelming as I walked in and flicked on the lights. Everything in its place as always, my OCD wouldn't rest otherwise. I adjusted the record player as it began to spin around and fill the room with a soft beat of a band I didn't know nor cared to know. It was just one of the many things my parents had left to me along with a fortune of money due to their death. A car accident in central London had taken them as they planned to visit me last year. My mind was wandering but pulled from its train of thought when I heard a constant thump at the door.

"Tara!"

"Come in..." I grumbled sitting down on the sofa and glancing at the door as Lucy walked in, she was my cheerful friend. Brown hair and a million watt smile were her major features. She was every guys dream for sure and she knew it.

"You ready for tonight?"

"If by going to the bar then yes."

"It's karaoke night too! It's the best part."

"For you. Not for me." I chuckled slightly and put my feet up on the table before leaning my head back and closing my eyes. "I'm leaving this weekend... For good."

"What? ... Why?"

"I gotta go home... Face the music so to speak. The house is still needing attention, the estate needs tending to..." I laughed slightly and opened my eyes, looking at her. "I don't want to be here... They wanted me to go here... To go to college. I finished last year for them... But I can't keep living this lie." She sighed and sat down, crossing her arms.

"Whose gonna go shopping with me and tell me I look like a hoe when I put too much make up on?" I chuckled and nudged her slightly.

"I'm a phone call away. I can always visit. I'll sneak in and hide in your room." She sighed and pulled me into a hug on the sofa.

"I hate you."

"I hate you too." I chuckled before she let me go and blinked away any tears threatening to ruin her make up. "Alright enough... By the way you look like a hoe. Go get ready we have to meet up with a new friend of mine."

"O yeah? Is he cute?"

" No he just needs a friend I think. Billy and Dusty were picking on him this morning."

"Of course you had to save the day." She laughed and looked in the mirror on the wall, using a damp wash cloth to brush away some of the make up. "I'll miss you... Really. My crazy Irish friend."

"Well let's celebrate then... One last time." I stood up and glanced at the family photo that hung on a string near the mirror, no longer would I go home to a family. It made me feel cold if anything. I locked the door behind me and wandered along ahead of Lucy, swiftly leaving the building and looking ahead to the building where we were to meet Dan.

"O Tara... He is so not attractive."

"Shut it... Be nice." I grumbled and jogged over, grabbing his hand and pulling him from whatever dark thoughts were haunting him. "Oi you look like you need a damn drink mate." I smirked as he shrugged slightly, hiding his face slightly. "Dan what's up mate? O bloody hell." I lifted his face slightly to see the briuse slowly forming under his eye.

"It's nothing you know how guys are ..." I moved away and shook my head.

"Come on. Now you really need to drink." Lucy sighed softly and rubbed Dan's back slightly.

"Trust me... It gets better when Tara is around. People don't fuck with her." We wandered towards the bar and got a table, I lit a cigarette and ordered a bottle of whiskey. Yeah I drank like a bloody fish, but it made life numb and bareable. I managed to get Dan to do a few shots, already Lucy was off trying to find a hook up.

"You drink often?"

"More lately... I did when I was in high school. I was really fat."

" How did you lose so much weight?" He shrugged and lifted the bottle taking a swig.

"Drinking and not eating." I shook my head before sighing softly.

"I can understand. Tell me more about you Dan... What makes you tick?"

"I love music... To write it and..." I smiled slightly before taking a swig of liquor. "If I wasn't so... Nervously awkward then I would like to perform... That will probably never happen."

"Don't say that Dan... Don't let anyone keep you down. It's not worth your time... Don't dwell on anything." I noticed my concerned look once I took his hand. "You're a good guy... Make me a promise eh?"

"What?"

"Follow your dream for me? Do what makes your heart happy, not what makes anyone else happy. Fuck them." I smirked as he laughed slightly and I squeezed his hand. "Do me a favour... Keep an eye on her." I pointed to Lucy as I stood. "She'll need ya."

"Where are you going?"

"I've just gotta go soon." I flashed a smile before placing a kiss to his cheek. I was awful for wanting to take advantage of him. He was too good though, I had to resist. "Why don't ya grab us another bottle eh? A few more drinks" He nodded slowly and got up, wandering off to the bar. Just like that... I was gone. Out of their lives.