Chapter 122

Unfortunately or fortunately I really don't know the news were widely spread really fast.
My parents after calling me came to the hospital and for once in my life I was happy to see them being with me. At least it seemed like they care.
Victoria called me to tell her that Gareth was fine. But I couldn't lie. The truth is I had no idea because everybody was way too busy to inform me about Gareth.
It was eight in the afternoon when the doctor Ellen talked to previously came to see us. Ellen didn't let me again and she headed towards her.
Ellen told me to come with them and I did so.
We followed the doctor in  an office. She sat in a chair, made her way too short blond hair and looked at us with her grey eyes.
- I'm Marie. I'm Gareth's doctor. Ellen told me that you are his girfriend.
Marie said looking at me. I nodded.
Ellen and Marie changed a look that I really didn't like.
- You can see him for a while. Is that what you want ?
She asked and I nodded.
- You have to wear a uniform. And I should inform you that he doesn't have his senses.
Marie said and exchamged another look with Ellen that I didn't like.
- He is going to be alright. Isn't he ?
I asked while tears were running down my face.
Marie looked at her hands. She didn't respond. What the....
- Ellen, excuse me but I would like to talk to...
- Jane.
- To Jane in private.
Ellen nodded, hugged me and left the office.
Now Marie and I were alone and for some reason I can't explain I was feeling awful.
- What's wrong ?
I asked while crying.
- Jane. Firstly I want you to calm down. Do you want a glass of water ?
She asked but I denied.
- You know that the crash was strong. Most of Real Madrid's player are injured if not....
- Are there losses ?
I asked while holding my breath.
- I'm afraid there are two already.
She said and I felt dizzy again. Which two ? But something in her tone of voice make me understand that this was not the worst part.
- But Gareth is going to be alright.
I said and she looked down again.
- Jane, Gareth hurt his head badly. We do our best but...
- But what ?
I asked in an attempt to stop the tears.
- We are not sure that he will make it.
She said and I felt my entire world fall apart.
- You mean that there's a chance that he...
- I'll say the truth to you Jane. There are more than one chances that he won't make it. He hurt himself badly. And the tests we made....I'm really sorry but they are bad.
Marie looked at me worried. I asked her for this uniform. I had to see Gareth. Maybe it was my last chance to see him.
No, Jane. Don't think like that. Maybe everything will be fine. Who am I kidding ? Nothing will be fine.

Considerably later while wearing this uniform I was holding Gareth's hand while he didn't have his senses. I talked to him a lot. But of course he never responded. I begged him to stay with me but I don't know what to think anymore. Marie said that there were a lot of chances of him passing away.....what if that indeed happens ? I really won't be able to handle it.
Marie opened the door and told me that I should leave him alone now. I did as she said and I left Gareth's hand.
I undressed myself from the uniform and I headed to Ellen. She was alone staring at the ceiling. Her eyes were red.
She had cried.
- Hey.
She said when she saw me and faked a smile on her face.
I started crying again. I won't make it. If Gareth....I won't make it.
- Everything will be fine.
Ellen reassured me kissing my forehead.
- It better be Ellen. What am I going to do if he...you know. It's not only him passing away. It's my pregnacy....it's...
- Are you pregnat ?
My mother's voice scared me.
- Mom...I....
- When did you expect to tell me ?
She asked her eyes on mine.
- I don't think this is the right time mrs. Smith.
Ellen said while my mother gave her the death stare.
- What are you going to do now ? Don't even think that we are going to support you in that. I'm not going to raise a child of yours. Pray Gareth to wake up otherwise you'll raise a child alone. Get it ?
My mother screamed and left. She headed to my father and I think she told him what happened. My father looked at me and they both left the hospital leaving me and Ellen alone.
- You've heard her.
I said while my hand was shaking.
- Maybe an abortion....
- No.
I said and I looked at her.
- Jane, you can't raise a child on your own. You don't even have a job. And if Gareth...
- No Ellen. I'm not doing an abortion. If Gareth passes away this child will be the only thing that will remind me of him.
I said while tears were running down my face.
- You can't think clear now Jane. And you need to eat. You haven't eaten the whole day.
- I'm fine. I just need sometime on my own.
I said and I walked away. I don't know where was I heading. The hospital was huge. It was late at night and it was quiet. I've found some empty chairs and I sat there.
I started crying louder in the empty hall. When I saw him. Sergio was in a wheelchair. My mouth opened in shock when I saw him. What had happened ?
- Sergio ?
I asked and he turned to face me.
- Jane, hi.
He said and I think the smile he gave me was real.
- What happened ?
- I hurt my legs.
He said looking at them.
- I can't move them.
He said and I looked at him. Not moving his legs meant no more football....no more of his carreer.
- But it's temporary. You'll walk again won't you ?
I asked while I felt my eyes being filled with tears.
- I...I don't know.
- Mr. Ramos you need to rest.
Another doctor appeared. She was raid haired, with freckles all over her face and green strict eyes.
She helped him go in his room and when she closed the door behind him I approached her.
- Will he walk again ?
I asked immediately and she looked at me.
- Who are you ?
She asked me. From the thing she had in her uniform I saw that her name was Roberta. Roberta. It was a beautiful name. I could name my child like this. If it was a girl.
- I mean are you a relative of him ?
She asked.
- I'm....his sister.
I lied.
- Nice try.
She said but then she looked at me.
- I'm sorry. He's a good friend of mine.
I said embarrassed.
- The right thing is not to tell you since you're not related but it doesn't matter anymore.
She paused.
- I'm afraid he won't be able to walk again.