Chapter 20 • That Won't Happen

Start from the beginning

When I showed her my violin skills that was a way of telling her to trust me. I have never told anyone about that, not even Hale, and he's my best friend. I feel like she got to know me more, but the trust didn't improve. All my life I've just wanted to pay my dues and go fast, but with her I want to live. I want to take it slow.

The night we almost kissed was a wake up call for me. I've only personally known her for a week then, but I realized I needed to prove myself to her. I need to prove that she can trust me, that I'm not some guy trying to pick her up. I do my best to not act like I'm interested in her. On her first day of school I was already jealous at the smallest things. I was being cocky and playful because I thought she would like something that, but she didn't. I had to be myself.

On the first day here it opened up my eyes. I realized all the thing I'd have to hide, all the secrets I couldn't tell. That night I went and got myself drunk. Wasn't the smartest idea since my hangover was terrible, but I wanted to let loose before I'd have to do all this hiding.

When I arrived home that night I had a dream. I dreamt that I saw her at her window, she was smiling at me and I smiled back. It seemed so real...but it couldn't have been, could it?

"Salem, why are you just sitting there? We're here."

I bring myself back to reality and look over at Rayan. Her eyebrows are furrowed in confusion while she studies me. I love the little crease she gets in her forehead when she's confused or angry. It's so cute I have to hold back a smirk.

I look forward and notice the car is parked and we sit outside of Harriet's Wish. Wow, thinking really does take you places.

"Are we gonna sit here and stare into space or go inside?" She asks in annoyance.

Flashing her a smile I say, "let's go."

When I exit the car she follows suite and gets out too. I would go get the door for her but she never lets me. And girls complain that chivalries dead, it's because they killed it.

I run past her to the door to the store and open it for her. She rolls her eyes and walks in. The bell on top of the door broke off after Dante stormed in demanding answers from Simone. I almost had to knock him out if he kept treating my sister like shit, good thing he learned from the last black eye I gave him.

"Honey, I'm home!" I bellow once I step foot into the shop. I see Simone behind the service desk counting a stack of twenties.

She doesn't look up when she replies, "shut it, Wyatt or I'll grab my duct tape."

When Rayan laughs instead of me, given I don't have a feminine laugh, Simone looks up from her money and looks at her. Instantly her face lights up with a smile.

"It's wonderful to see you again, Rayan. How are you?" She asks while stepping out from behind the desk. I casually walk over to the book shelf and start browsing the new pick ups, only halfheartedly paying attention to them.

"I'm great, how about you?"

"Well, if I didn't have to deal with Thing 1 over there I'd be better. Anything you want to look at?" Simone says with a laugh.

"I was wondering if anything in here belongs to Harriet? I would love to buy something of hers," I hear Rayan say behind me.

I would answer that question for her since I know this place like the back of my hand, but I'll give Simone her time to talk to her. They continue to chat while I drift off with my thoughts.

It was always weird knowing that Simone and Talus were together. I knew that he was Rayan's brother but I never mentioned to Simone that I knew her. He also didn't know about Harriet an I being related, and I glad it stayed that way. I remember him and Dane coming to the shop once, that's when I realized who she was. The Blackwood Baby, my father would call her. I just never knew it was Rayan until then.