Twenty-Six | Dimwit

Start from the beginning

I gave her a smile and decided to try and comfort her. Knowing that your mate was only a few rooms away and unable to go to him must be hard. I knew it would be hard for me if Eric was in there and I hardly knew him whereas she knew him for most of her life.

"He'll be alright, dad's a tough bloke."

"I know he will be" she replied, leaning her head against my own as we settled into a comfortable silence. I gazed at the males in the room seeming to be discussing something important, most likely pack related business. A fill-in beta while my dad was in here. A pack should never go without the highest in commands. I didn't miss the fact that Eric kept checking in on me as I began to watch the TV hanging off the wall.

"Mrs. Melton?" the same nurse that stopped me earlier called out in the almost empty room. All of our heads snapped in her direction. She held a small smile as my mum eagerly appeared in front of her, her posture stiff and her expression hopeful.

"Yes, is he alright?" she answered, her tone airy.

"Your husband is doing quite fine now. He had a serious case of heat stroke. Quite alarming at his age. He had a high temperature and seemed to have no recollection of his whereabouts" she replied easily. My shoulders tightened as her words sunk in.

Heart Stroke? He had heat stroke?

"Can I see him?"

"Of course, he's in room 304 level 2"

And she was off. My mother barely staying to hear the rest of the directions as she bolted into the direction of the nearest elevator. I held in my laugh as she disappeared. Mates were forever in love it seemed.

I felt my phone vibrate in my palm, someone ringing me. Hushing Eric as he made it to my side, I answered the phone without checking the ID.

"Hello?"

"Charlie yes! Where about are you in the hospital?" he asked. Where was I in the hospital? How did he even know I was in here?

"In the waiting room. How did you know that?" I asked, giving Eric a confused look to which he responded with an even more confused one. I turned away from him again as he began to question who was on the phone.

"Okay, I'm on my way" was all he said as he ended the call. Staring down at my phone in puzzlement.

"Who was that?" Eric asked curiously, peeking at my face from the side. Turning around to answer him, realization dawned on me. No freaking way-

"Charlie!" I heard his voice holla from the entry of the waiting block.

I watched as Eric's head found the owner of the unfamiliar voice, his eyes narrowing automatically. Turning around again, man it felt like I was doing twirls. This is why I was never into dancing; I became too dizzy at the simplest things.

Taking in his large frame covered in a very posh business suit I grinned. His blonde hair gleamed in the unhealthy lighting of this building, brightening his blue crystal eyes.

"Landon" I breathed, taking running start towards him.

A hand on my waist pulled me back against a hard chest. Dazed, I looked up seeing Eric's stiff chin. "Stay away from him Charlie" he muttered, his eyes still trained on a very polite Landon. What was going on here- Oh. They knew he was an alpha. An identified alpha walking into a pack's territory and hospital. Landon was the nicest and funniest person I knew but he was honestly a dimwit. He could get himself killed if he didn't announce his presence and sensing from the stiffness of the room as I caught a sight of Jake and Liam Luca uptight beside us, I knew he didn't do that. He truly was an idiot.