Chapter 13 • Overprotective Much?

Start from the beginning

"I'll see you tomorrow," he dismisses.

Quickly composing myself I grab my school bag from the back seat and open his side door. Right as I'm about to close it he grabs my hand.

"Text me when you get inside. I want to make sure your brothers weren't too hard on you," he says.

I nod but I let his hand linger for a second before pulling away. I close his door and turn to walk towards my house. I expected to hear his car door open since he was in his own driveway. Although it doesn't.

****

Have you ever had that moment where you just move to a different country, change all personal info, and somehow have a DNA transplant? I'm experiencing that feeling right now as I open the front door of my house at 1 a.m and seeing Dane standing just a few feet in front of the door.

I lingered outside for awhile before I opened the front door. I had to prepare myself for what was going to come. Quite frankly I'm a little scared.

I can feel the daggers getting shot into my back from his gaze as I turn to close the door. I'm in deep shit. Deep, deep shit. I'm dead. I should write my own eulogy since I know Dane will be in jail for my murder. Talus probably right along there with him for helping.

I turn around slowly and prepare myself for the hit 'big brother' talk. I notice that Talus is standing in the doorway of the kitchen with a smirk. This should be interesting. I look at Dane and he's just standing there.He doesn't even say anything. He just stares at me. Talus takes it upon himself to speak first.

"Did you have fun?" He says in a cocky voice. I turn my attention to him and give him the finger. I had a pretty great night and it's not gonna get fucked up.

"Who were you with?" Dane finally speaks up after his staring competition. I slowly turn my gaze to him and see that he's mad. More like on the verge of going ballistic.

"I was with Blythe, we went to the movies and the out to eat. It's not big deal," I say casually. Although Dane's already caught my bluff.

"Oh really? Is that why you just got out of the car with that Wyatt boy?" Dane spits back at me. The rage in his eyes is starting to scare me. What's wrong with him?

"Okay...the problem is?" I say back annoyed that he has to go all caveman on me as soon as I walk in the door.

"You were with a boy," Dane says calmly, but I can see its eating him alive.

I bitterly laugh, "wow, thanks for letting me know captain obvious," I say.

He takes threatening steps towards me but I don't cower back. I stand my ground and put on my confident face.

"I told you to stay away from him! And look what you do. You get into the car with someone I told you to stay away from. Why can't you just listen for once?" He exclaims in my face.

I drop my bag on the ground and push him by the chest. I'm not dealing with this shit today. I've had enough.

"Dane, I've been stuck by myself for almost a year because of you being an ass hole who doesn't let me control my own life. Overprotective much?" I say in his face now.

He scoffs and backs me up to the door. "Overprotective? That's what you think this is? I had to watch half my family get lowered into the ground and you think I'm being overprotective! You must really be blind now," he yells back.

"I went through that too, Dane. And so did Talus. You're not the only one in this family who lost people," I whisper. "How can you use that against me?"