Chapter 88

"Rise and shine!" The loud shout jolts me awake I open my eyes Rey immediately slips out of my grip and I jolt up, and she snatches her staff from under the bed and simultaneously uses the force to turn on the light. But she doesn't get much further before her eyes pinch shut and she breathes a painful sigh, I don't think she expected her movements to cause her so much pain. I sit up higher in a looming protection before my blazing eyes look across the room and lock with Poe's mischievous expression.

"What are you doing?" I practically scream just as Rey growls his name. My anger slowly drains, along with my adrenaline. I sigh, leaning back and resting my head on the headboard.

"I came to get you two out of bed, because..." Poe stutters, "Luke wants to see you both."

"How did you get in here?" Rey seethes and guilt prickles at my skin. I tear my eyes from Poe and turn my attention back to her and when I look at her she doesn't seem as angry as she sounds; as if she already knows the answer.

"While you were away Poe stayed with me, remember I told you. I gave him the code, in case he needed it," I say quietly, waiting for her to shout at me.

"Okay." Rey's eyes flicker between the two of us for a moment, her tone curious not mad. When her focus rests on me again she pulls her lips into a little smile. This isn't how I thought the morning would turn out.

"I'm sorry," Rey's eyes soften and I watch as she sinks under the sheets, letting the staff drop onto the mattress next to her and she covers her face with her hands.

"I didn't realise you two would be so jumpy," Poe states, he looks at me, then my clothes on the floor then back to me. I do not give him the satisfaction, he doesn't have to know. I don't realise that he had indeed figured it out the moment he wheeled himself into the bedroom.

Rey grumbles to herself before carefully rolling into me, her head rests under my ribs and she hugs me tightly. My arm wraps around her back and I hold her gently, running my hand up and down her spine, shaking my head at Poe.

"Not cool, man. Don't shout next time," Poe nods, agreeing.

"There won't be a next time," Rey's threat sits in the air. I can't help but smile, she's mad, or maybe she's not... sometimes it is hard to tell. "I'll roll you down a hill if you don't get out now," Rey groans but keeps her head on my torso.

"Fine, fine, I'll knock next time," he smirks, laughing as and rolls back out of the door.

"Are you alright?" I stop rubbing her back and move to the side to try and look down at her face.

"Yeah, I just shouldn't have moved so fast," I press her closer to me.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have told you I gave him the code."

"No, don't apologise, I don't mind that he has it."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure," she slowly lets go of me and I lean forward and stretch my tired muscles. Rey slips out of the sheets and ties her hair up quickly. I slide out of the other side of the bed and collect up my discarded colours and throw them in the basket. Rey goes into the wardrobe and comes out with some clothes for her and some for me. She throws them at me and I catch the shorts but drop the shirt. She laughs at my lack of coordination.
"Stormtroopers," she scoffs. My jaw drops and my brow aches from being furrowed so deeply, but I can't hide the flickering smile on my lips at her audacity.

"What?" I grumble. Rey gnaws on the corner of her lip, I squint my eyes at her and she squints hers back.

"You heard me," she replies defiantly. I shake my head and click my tongue disapprovingly.
"Do you mind?" She asks quietly and holds up my jacket along with her clothes.

"Want to smell like me today?" I smirk, not fully intending to mock her, only a little bit.

"I shouldn't have told you that," she mutters. "Got a problem with it?" I shake my head quickly and smile. "Well I'm taking that as a yes."

"It looks better on you," I laugh pulling my shirt over my head.

"Thanks," she doesn't take the compliment seriously. "I was going to say it looks good on you, but I think it looks better on the floor," I raise my brows and look at her from the corner of my eye as I pull my shorts up.

"I won't argue with that," I grin.

"Come on let's face the grumpy old man," she shakes her head.

"Don't be too hard on him, he has seen some terrible things," I raise one brow at her. "Okay you have too, but Luke has dealt with it alone."

"That's because he pushed everyone away. Remind you of someone?" I laugh and she shoves her shoulder into mine before opening the bedroom door. Poe is wheeling around in circles in the foyer, the hallway light the only guidance we have, the rest of the room is completely dark.

"Finally," he cheers.

"We haven't even eaten. How early is it?" I mumble about to head to the fridge

"Don't worry about that, it's time to go."

He rolls himself over to the keypad and unlocks it. The metal door opens and Rey and I follow him out, glancing at each other with confusion.

He leads us down the halls, the bright fluorescent lights nearly blinding, burning my tired eyes. My arm rests over Rey's shoulder and I rest my weight on her as a joke at first but she is unaffected. I really have underestimated her. She supports me as I drag my feet lazily down the twisting corridors, but eventually she tires too and her shoulders start to droop. I smile and stand up straighter I keep my arm around her and with my other hand I guide her arm and wrap it around my back so that she holds my waist and she rests her head on my shoulder as we stumble after Poe, yawning and blinking slowly.

"Gee guys it isn't that early," Poe calls in disbelief as he turns to see us slump down the corridors.

"The sun isn't even up, Poe, we've had our fair share of restless nights," I remind him.

"I don't think you're going to mind," he teases me with the knowledge I don't yet have and Rey leans closer to me.

I wonder if Rey knows what this is about, she has just spent almost four weeks with him.

"Come on hurry up," Poe calls and Rey leans in closer to me and I feel myself smile happily at her affection. She does not care that we walk past people down the halls and that they will see her in my jacket and a giddy happiness sets into my skin.

I can almost feel Rey's skin prickle with anticipation. "You know what this is about, don't you?" I probe and she looks up at me innocently.

"Nope."
She knows.
I can tell when she is lying. I narrow my eyes at her suspiciously, but I don't question her further.

Poe wheels us to the main exit and stops, Rey and I stop too, and fall out of our sideways embrace.

"I have to get back to the infirmary before they come to get me," he says quickly, grinning at me. I smile back, I feel like I'm missing something.

"Do you know where Luke is?" I turn to Rey.

"Yeah, follow me?" She slips her hand into mine and tugs my arm. I let her lead me from the Base and onto the tarmac, the floodlights are the main source of light, the moon is slowly sinking, awaiting the sun's return. We walk towards the wildflowers.
What is Luke doing in the forest before dawn? I wonder to myself as Rey pulls me up the hill and into the forest. Everything is unfamiliar and I don't know what it is we are doing. Rey seems perfectly capable to guide us, never placing a foot wrong.

She starts to slow down but she steps in front me, slowing us down to an almost complete stop.