Chapter 72

"It's good to see you, buddy," Poe says quietly after a short silence.

"It's good to see you too," he closes his eyes and I watch him struggle to swallow. He opens his eyes and his focus is on the ceiling

"So, how are you feeling?" I ease into the question.

"I'm not too sure."

"I understand what you mean, man. I thought we'd lost you."

He scoffs with a smile, "You're not getting rid of me that easy."

"I don't want-" Poe laughs moving his arm slowly, letting his hand fall out of the sheet and off the edge of the bed to rest on my knee.

He pants my leg, "I know," I pull my lips into a tight smile.

The door opens and Poe and I both look over as soon as I see the orange I quickly look at Poe, his expression turns to one of adoration. BB-8 beeps loudly and exuberantly, rolling as fast as his little motor will allow. As he approaches I notice he has scorch marks tarnishing his once pristine shell.

"BB-8!" Poe's ecstatic reaction warms my heart.

BB-8 hums and spins in circles rolling right up to the edge of the bed near where I am sitting.

"Sorry for the rough landing," Poe takes his hand off my leg and rubs the top of BB-8, his big black eye looking up at him.

BB-8 beeps aggressively as if telling him off, before his tone changes and he seems to explain to him what happened in a fast succession of beeps.

"I know, I didn't realise the cannon was on us either."

BB-8 beeps again, looking at me.

"Finn, you remember Finn, and Rey, they brought you home," BB seems to examine me, looking me up and down; scanning me. It takes a little while longer before he turns to Poe and hums sadly.

"They had to adjust his memory systems, he's still figuring some things out," Poe clarifies what I was told over a week ago.

"Don't stress, BB-8, I'm sure you will remember Rey, you had a bit of a crush on her," BB-8 beeps in quick denial; I assume he is saying I have my wires crossed. Poe laughs, but his eyes are dull from a mixture of medicine and something I can't quite place.

BB-8 then turns back to Poe and whirs but I can't seem to figure out what he means.

"I can't," BB-8 hums in confusion, "Sorry, bud,"

BB-8 then seems to ask a question his beeps higher in pitch.

"I don't know if I will be able to, I'll need to speak to the nurses," his beeps almost sound like crying.

"What did he ask?" I can't help but pry.

"Nothing important, just when he'll be able to shows me something in the mechanical compound," I nod. BB-8 vibrates as Poe rubs his head over his head in a comforting way.

"I better let you two have some time alone and let you rest," I stand up.

"Do you have to leave?" Poe mumbles.

"No, do you want me to stay?" I reply.

"I've missed you, is it too selfish to want to spend some time with you?" I immediately sit back down.

"Not at all," I answer with genuine sincerity.

"Good," I smile.

"I wasn't gone very long, but I guess a lot happened around here in that time," I'd barely left the Resistance for a week and in that time a full assault had launched and I had no idea so I'm interested in what Poe knows.