Chapter 79

Rey moves closer to me and slips one of her legs between mine, bringing half of her body on top of mine like she normally does. Her hand runs down the side of my body until she reaches my thigh, her fingers play with the bandage that is still wrapped around my leg.

Her fingertips lightly trace over the precise location of my scar and my leg feels weak.
"Why do you still wear this?"

"I'm not sure," I blink a few times I don't want to tell her I'm afraid she'll compare the scar on my shoulder to the one on my thigh and notice the similarities.

"Don't you?" Rey tries to hold in a giggle and I feel her chest ripple with its suppression. I clear my throat and feel slightly uncomfortable under her. I open my mouth but close it again. "I know you lied to me," she whispers, smirking into my neck and nipping friskily at my skin, which now tickles with embarrassment. She brings her hand up my leg slowly, her fingers gracing over my crotch slowly, causing my breath to catch in my throat, but she keeps trailing her hand up my body – what a tease – until she twists the hair by my ear in between her fingers. My skin heats up with a mix of embarrassment and lust, and I don't know how to respond. "You don't have to be scared, I'm not mad," she mumbles quietly and kisses my neck.

I open my mouth to tell her I'm not afraid but we both know I am. "I'm sorry, I..."

"I didn't mean it," she whispers and it causes my laugh to bellow, echoing around us.

"I know you didn't, that's why I didn't want to tell you." My arm that is under her and wrapped around her back tightens, pulling her closer to me.

"I love you for that, but you're a terrible liar," I hear the humour in her voice and I feel the need to defend myself.

"I'm not that bad, you didn't know I lied about being part of the Resistance," I crack a smile. She pulls away from my neck and I see her eyes shine mischievously in the dull light.

"I didn't know you then."

"Were you mad at me?"

"For lying, or for leaving?" Rey asks for clarification, and I nod but realise she might not have seen.

"Both," she closes her eyes and I can only see a shadow of where she is, the room is too dark to see much more, she opens them after a brief sigh.

"I, well, no... I just felt empty, and I didn't understand why at first."

"I felt it too. I looked back, but you had already turned away..." I don't know what would have happened if I had turned around and I saw that she was still looking at me. Would I have walked back through the castle and begged her further? Or would I have turned back around and left her on that step?

"Watching you leave brought back all I had felt watching my parents leave me on Jakku," I swallow but I find it incredibly hard to do so. "I heard myself cry out for my family. I wanted to scream at you, too, beg you not to leave me; but I couldn't find my voice." My hand that rests on the bed next to me buries into her hair and I run my thumb along her cheekbone, and she sighs.
She leans up a little so that her lips are right by my ear, "Thank you for coming back for me..." I twist my head a little so that I can lightly press my lips against her. I barely kiss her; rather leave my lips against hers to remind her that I love her.

I pull back a small amount, "I'm always going to come back for you," I watch the silhouette of my hand caress her hair.

She presses her lips a little closer to mine before she kisses the corner of my mouth, up my cheek, then she moves to the other side of my face and I feel my cheeks rise into a smile as she presses her lips back down and onto the other corner of my mouth. She kisses the tip of my cold nose then whispers "So will I," she leaves one finally kiss on my lips and I pull her up so more of her is lying on top of me. I'm nice and warm, and she must be too, I slip my arms into my jacket and wrap my arms around her back, holding her close as we slip into sleep together.

***

Sometime during the night we must have rolled away from each other, maybe we were too hot, or uncomfortable, but I would have been to asleep to consciously be aware of the shift. When I wake, Rey is still sound asleep, she is lying on her back, her head facing me, eyes closed and her mouth party a tiny amount. She is such a silent sleeper it's easy to forget she's breathing. I realise my hand tingles and aches and I look down to see its loosely connected to Rey's, and I smile at the thought of one of us reaching for the other in the darkness and bleary drowsiness between dreams.
She has to leave in a few hours and I have work in the afternoon. All of my morning rehab classes are cancelled because they are attending a meeting to keep their spirits high while they're stuck in the infirmary. I hope Poe was invited.