Chapter 77

I go back into the hallway, and see Poe struggling to reach for the handle to the fridge. "Need some help?" I offer, and he wheels back, his cheeks are a little red and he cracks his neck to each side. "What were you after?"

"Was just going to get a drink I didn't know how long I'd be waiting for you two to finish. You're either really good or terrible," he winks. I blush and laugh into the fridge and it echoes loudly around the room.

"I didn't have sex with her you pervert," I laugh and shake my head at him and pass him a bottle of water.

"Good to know," he holds the bottle between his fingers and skilfully wheels his chair at the same time.

I collapse onto the couch near him, and I put my feet up on the table.

I hear the bedroom door open and Rey walks out in some pants and a big shirt. I think it might be one of mine, and it makes me smile, they all look the same though.

"Hey Poe, good to see you're back on your feet..."

"Screw you," I'm surprised by their banter, but welcome it. Rey sits on the couch opposite to mine and mimics the way I have my feet on the table, our bare toes are almost touching, I can't help but poke hers and she giggles.

"What are up to, besides stealing my roommate?" He asks her and gestures to me.

"He was my roommate before he was yours," She states with a hint too much pride. He crinkles his nose at her, "Master Luke is still training me," she adds.

"Did you two work out your differences?" He asks and Rey nods. I'm not positive what they mean and I don't want to pry. However, I can't deny the pang of jealousy at their private knowledge.

"He came and saw me when I woke up," Poe squints. Obviously he wasn't aware Rey had spent time in the infirmary too. "I got shot in the chest," She answers the question he hadn't asked. He pulls an impressed expression and turns to me.

"Definitely not going to break her," he whispers so quietly I almost don't hear. I clear my throat and look down as he turns back to Rey.
"So, he took it well?" Poe asks.

"Well he still isn't very happy with me," she shrugs and looks down at her hands as they smooth over her pants.

"You did yell at him in front of the entire fleet..." Poe chuckles and I begin to feel my concern rise.

"He wasn't going to let me go, of course I was going to yell at him," Rey looks from Poe, to me, and realisation overcomes her as she notices my troubled expression. "Luke tried to stop me from coming to find you," she summarises whatever it is her and Poe are conversing about.

"You told me he understood that I come first to you," I paraphrase what she told me in the bed in the hotel.

She bites her lip. "I lied." I blink and look down, feeling my heart sink. I am unable to feel angry over her deceit, because I've lied about much worse.

I meet her eye again, my tone is dejected as I mutter, "Rey..." Poe takes a long sip from the water bottle.

"It wasn't going to help my case, was it? You already didn't want to see me..." she's defensive, I can tell. "If you knew Master Luke was against it too it would only make you more likely to push me away," I sigh in exasperation, pull my feet off the table, place them on the ground and open my arms, welcoming her. She stands up and sulks over to me. She squeezes between Poe and the table and lightly sinks down onto my lap, I pull her in close.

"I love you," I whisper into her hair so quietly I'm sure Poe wouldn't have heard, and I feel her lips quiver as I kiss the corner of her mouth. Poe clears his throat and Rey takes that as a sign to climb off me, so she sits on the far side of the couch, her legs draped over my thighs.

"He just needs to get to know Finn a bit more and he'll love him too," Rey adamantly proclaims.

"I heard you two decided to make it official," Rey blushes and looks at me. I swallow roughly not sure if she is okay with the fact I already told him, but she smiles softly.

"Finally," she huffs and my mouth parts in suspicion. There is no way she has been waiting for me to ask her... I let it slide.

"It's nearly seven, should we go down for dinner? The food supplies have arrived, it should be a substantial meal tonight," I inform them, Rey quickly agrees. Poe nods, placing the water bottle on his lap as he wheels himself towards the door. I look at his bandages and wonder if it hurts to push his wheelchair with a sprained wrist.

"You'll have to take for a test spin, Dameron," Rey challenges as I offer her my hand to help her off the couch. She gently takes it and I lift her on to her feet before walking over to the keypad.

"I might be a reckless pilot in battle, but I ama careful driver, especially with precious cargo," I turn around to seePoe looking up at me with a smirk, I glance over to Rey as she giggles; his charmobviously doesn't go amiss with her either. Poe wheels himself into thehallway. Why am I all of a sudden jealousof my friend? And why is it Rey soeasily notices? I am still standing at the keypad and instead of walkingout of the open door she stops in front of me, smiles and kisses my cheek. Shetakes my hand and squeezes it in hers for a moment, searching my eyes forsomething before letting go of my hand and pacing up to Poe. She grasps onto thehandles of the wheelchair and pushes him along so that he doesn't have to usehis energy rolling down the long twisting corridors. Rey quick glance at meover her should coaxes my feet into walking and I follow them and hear the doorclose securely behind us.

Poe gets stopped multiple times on the way by fellow pilots and soldiers allmaking sure he is okay. A few people who he isn't so close with give him secondglances and turn to their companions and whisper with sad eyes. I try not tolet on that I notice this behaviour in hopes Poe won't either so I keep a smileand chatting to him as we enter the dining hall. We are given a two day old,reheated stew. Even though they got a new delivery they are still preservingfood while the crops can regrow and more stock can arrive.
Poe can't sit in his normal spot across from me, at the edge of the bench, sohe sits at the head of the table. Rey sits closest to him and they dive into aconversation I don't understand about some pilot terminology, and they discusswhat exactly happened to his X-Wing. I get included occasionally, but I don'tmind all that much because Rey's hand rests on my thigh under the table, evenwhile we eat. I wrap my arm around her waist and she flashes me a bright smilebefore turning back to Poe. I'm preoccupied listening in on some other conversationsaround the room a her hand starts to rub up and down my leg in small, smoothmotions and warmth spreads through me. I turn to look at to her, assuming shewanted my attention only to notice she is still talking to Poe. Her movementsare completely subconscious; I bite my grin away as I turn my head back to thefar corner of the room and tune in to some gossip behind me. Rey's hand rubshigher up my leg and I can feel my body reacting to her, she runs her handsdown, and as she brings it up again she moves to my inner thigh and mybreathing hitches, however, I don't think Rey noticed because she is stillfocused on her conversation.

I listen back into some discussions around the room until I feel Rey press hershoulder against mine, and her hand becomes a lot more precise in itsmovements. I turn back towards Rey and she's looking at me, "Are you okay?" shewhispers and I loosen my grip on her waist to take her hand in mine, I run myfingers over hers and nod.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine," Rey rests her head in the crook of my shoulder. "Tired?"I query and brush her still damp hair from her cheek with my free hand. Shemumbles a quiet yes so after a small chat about how training is going for mypatients we call it a night.

Poe wheels himself back to the infirmary when we finish our meals and Rey takesmy hand and we walk back to our room.