Chapter 67

I hear Rey close the door behind her and I close my eyes but feel too awake, listening to the lack of Rey's machines as she unplugged them to find Luke. This makes Poe's monitors even louder. I roll my head from side to side, trying to shake the sounds out. I slowly slip out of the sheet, I feel around the room for the light switch on the wall above Poe's head, it flickers on and I sit in the edge of his bed. I don't watch myself as I take his hand. I hold onto his clammy skin and quietly whisper to him that I need him to wake up. I want to see his dark eyes and the way they always have a mischievous glimmer in them.

"Come on, you're the best pilot, Poe. You can't lose that reputation, you've fought so hard to keep it," I whisper, hoping my words with encourage him.
He doesn't respond, of course. Even if he was awake he wouldn't be able to speak through the tube down his throat.

I sit with his unresponsive body for a while, the beeping starting to form a disjointed rhythm making my eyes heavy with exhaustion moment longer before I return to Rey's bed and fall right to sleep.

***

After about a week has passed of rehabilitating the rookies, and the lady in bed three and the impatient man from bed one have left, which frees up a few more hours to squeeze on the cot with Rey.

I become more and more aware of the toll the hard bed is having on her muscles, she often rolls her shoulders in pain and tries to twist her back to alleviate some of the tension. However, she has gained almost full movement again and she tells me the blaster wound doesn't cause her much discomfort.
We eat lunch together in her room and spend some time talking at Poe - who is still unconscious and unresponsive. He has quite a few visitors actually; many of his fellow pilots come to the ward and let him know how they are going and what he's missed; even Chewie came by once, but he also came to see Rey.
Rey and I tell Poe how happy he'd be that the Residence has recovered, and that Rey and I have seemed to find our place here.
When it just happens to be Poe and I alone I whisper to him that I'm scared about what will happen when all my patients are fully discharged, and if the belonging I feel now will disappear...

The doctors have given Rey permission to leave her bed more often, and she was weaned off the meds and now she barely sits down.
She looks so much more like herself in her casual attire, and a lot much healthy. When she isn't meditating with Luke she helps the dining hall prepare meals. She has found her routine and so have I.

I am on a two-hour break now and Rey and I are in her ward, I am on Rey's bed, a nurse having just finished applying some ointments and bandage my left leg in fresh cloth. Now he has moved to Rey who sits on my bed with her shirt off. He checks Rey's scar, her stitches had been removed a few days ago. He wraps her entire torso in a tight bandage to prevent any swelling or infection from entering her healing body.

Just as the nurse packs away his provisions General Organa walks into the room, this isn't unusual at all; she often comes and sits beside Poe.

"Good afternoon," I greet her warming, out of the corner of my eye I see the nurse as he walks down the hall and Rey comes and sits on her bed next to me her shirt secure around her body.

"Your housing unit will be ready for you to move into tomorrow," She states and Rey grins.

"So we don't have to stay in here any longer?" She asks loudly unable to withhold her excitement.

"No, not anymore. We just received our new stock of uniforms and sheets, so they will be placed in the wardrobe for you, as of now the beds are bare and all the security precautions must be checked once more also," Rey nods.

"What about Poe?" I ask, and glance at his still body.

"He'll be in here, you can always visit," I nod slowly.