Chapter 4

"Finn, I don't think you need all your monitors, I'll remove them, you can eat in the dining hall tonight," Starla begins to turn the beeping machines off. I rip the patches from my chest and take the cords from my arms. A strange silence fills the room.

"Now, don't you have a wild night, your rehabilitation isn't over yet," She smiles and I nods in response.

"Thank you," I call after her as she leaves, pulling the machines with her.
I slip on a baggy grey shirt, the jacket that Poe let me keep and some loose pants; it feels good to wear comfortable clothes. I leave my medical room for the first time since I woke up. Walking down the vaguely recognisable halls, I pass a few familiar faces; they acknowledge me through extra-long glances and the occasional nod, however, none stop, nor ask how I am. I soon find the dining hall, witnessing BB-8 roll slowly and stop at Poe's seat at the back of the room; I walk across the room and sit down. The droid looks at me for a moment before rolling closer, he touches his weird little face to my leg and beeps quietly; I'm taken aback by his affection and look at Poe who grins, "Someone is happy to see you..." BB-8 whirs loudly at Poe, "Okay, sorry, he's more happy to see Rey though." The small little ball rolls away beeping to himself, I watch him as he approaches Rey she smiles at him. Then waves to me; I smile back before turning my attention to Poe. 

"You two are the worst type of people," He shakes his head and he rolls his eyes.

"Who?" I enquire.

"You and Rey, all you two ever do is talk about each other. 'I need to save Rey', 'but I can't leave him', 'Where is Rey', 'Where is Finn'. You two are ridiculous" I blush as Poe lists his examples.

"There is nothing going on, we're just friends," I say sternly, okay she might have snuck into my room, but that's what anyone would do when they haven't seen someone for a while.

"Sure you are." He whispers, taking a sip of his drink.

"Here, I got you some too," I hear her voice as she places a tray in front of me, she sits beside me and when I look at her she is already looking at me.

"Thank you," I whisper back and she shrugs.

"Is this the first time you've been allowed to eat with everyone?" Rey asks, I nod taking a bite of the bread roll.

"I'm allowed to re-join civilisation now."

The three of us have small conversations, and in the silences I often witness Poe sneakily catching a glance at us, to which I'd respond with a look of mock indignation.
"Hey guys," I hear an unfamiliar voice happily say beside me, I see a young man at the edge of our table, I smile at him.

"Finn, Rey this is Koden, better keep an eye on this one, he's a quick learner." Poe pats the spare space beside him and Koden gladly sits down.

"Poe has been teaching me a lot of the mechanics of an X-Wing, General Organa was not lying when she said he is the best pilot in the resistance," I quickly glance to Poe and back at Koden. "I bet he could fly through the training course with his eyes closed, and without his little companion." Koden gestures to BB-8, his smiles brightly as he speaks highly of his new mentor.

"One day I'll have to give it a shot," Poe accepts the challenge.

As the conversation begins to slow I offer to take Poe and Rey's empty trays back to the kitchen. As I return I see Koden and Rey leaning closely in across the table, Rey's smile makes her eyes shine and for a brief moment I feel this gnawing sensation in the centre of my chest, but unsure what it is, I push it aside. I sluggishly walk the rest of the way to the table; Rey leans back as I sit beside her. Poe and Koden begin to have a conversation about why the boaster engine needs to be shifted lightly to the right of the main gear control.

"Do you have to go back to the infirmary tonight?" She asks,

"I don't know, I guess not, but I still need to do my rehabilitation," I answer. Rey turns to me, she smiles and leans in closely, I do the same, feeling as if she may share a secret with me.

"So you can come to my room and stay with me for a while?" my smile widens at her request.

"I'd like that," I whisper .

"Good," Rey turns back to the pair, agreeing with Poe and pretending as if our conversation did not occur.