Chapter 66

I'm not sure how long we hold each other, but it is long enough to ease my weary heart.

"You better go," Rey's whisper is strained, and I realise I'd fallen into a light sleep.
My arms still wrap around Rey's lower back and her hands are still in my hair, but I see the pain in her face when I take my head from her shoulder and look at her.

"What time is it?"

"Nearly one," I groan and feel myself fill with the motivation I need to restart. I slowly let her go and she immediately melts back into the bed, she tries to conceal the relief she feels, but fails.

"Are you okay?" I test her, she smiles and nods. "No you're not..."

"I'll be okay."

"You should have just pushed me off the bed if you were uncomfortable,"

"I wanted to hold you," she rolls her shoulders into the hard mattress. I crawl forward so I can press my lips against her forehead.

"I'll be back in a few hours, don't leave your bed," I order and slowly slide off the bed and stretch up. My shirt rides up my hips as I reach for the sky, I see Rey look at the way my muscles pull taut and I smirk to myself as she instinctively licks her lips.

"I might just have to come and find you," she challenges, and I shake my head before I kiss her shiny pink lips. I start to slowly step away from her bed. "Wait, I nearly forgot," I turn back and look at her. "You have a uniform now," She grins.

"I... What?"

"Yeah, a real resistance outfit. It's on your bed. Starla said you only have to wear it when you teach rehab though," She grins.

I look over at it and see the folded white uniform, quite similar to the nurse's outfits. Deep inside something shifts. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it feels something like belonging. I smile at Rey and strip out of my large shirt and shorts and put on the pants and shirt, it is a lot more snug compared to the baggy fabric I've been wearing these past few months, but I don't think it will irritate my scar.

"I'll be back later," I call happily to Rey as I walk from the room.

I wander towards the fourth ward; I pick up the holocharts that I left on the administration desk before entering.

I help the young man with dark hair and a happy smile to get off the bed. He has severe muscle trauma in his upper neck and lower back. He has bruised eyes so I wonder if maybe he crashed - by the extent of the damage and his lack of mobility I would assume so.
I can't help but be reminded of Poe, so I say his name at the end of each sentence.
"Nice to meet you Jaeden,"
"Here, like this, Jaeden,"
I mainly help him to learn how to successfully get up and out of the bed, and try a few neck exercises.

My motivation I had woken up with has disappeared and I feel the tired aches come at full force.

The next patient is another man, much older, whose legs got slightly crushed in a crash a few years prior, and are now causing him some issues. I don't have much knowledge in how to regain leg strength, but I will have to learn, so it is helpful for my recovery that we do the training together.

The last patient is a younger lady, she just has some minor injuries but they cover the span of her back. I assume she is my last patient because she doesn't seem to have very extensive injuries. I help her to stretch and by the end of the hour I have signed her discharge forms.

I slump down the halls half asleep after such a long and strenuous day. I don't pay attention to anyone around me, and I don't say a word when I arrive back in the room that night. Rey has the bed tilted slightly down in more of 'bed' shape. I pull my uniform shirt over my head, and fold it, placing it at the foot of the bed, I kick off my shoes as I walk around to my side of the small bed; it's my side because I won't accidently crush her broken ribs, she just has to be wary she doesn't roll onto my burnt leg. I tug off my pants and don't even notice the way Rey stares. I leave them at them handing off the edge of the bed as I cautiously climb in under the sheet, beside her. I can tell she is slightly surprised but welcomes me as I gently snuggle into her, resting my head on her pillow. I sigh and roll onto my left side I ache all over that I don't notice the way my bandaged leg protests to the movement. My cold right leg slips between Rey's, my arm drapes over her stomach and close my heavy eyes.
She tilts her head presses soft kisses into my face. I think I may fall asleep again but Rey unknowingly pulls me back to the present.
"How's your leg?"

"Sore. Everywhere is sore," I complain honestly.

"Oh Finn," she fusses, as she runs her fingers through the hair at the front of my head. "Just go to sleep, I'll make sure no one wakes you,"

"Will you stay?" I ask not realising there isn't really anywhere else she could go.

"You told me not to leave my bed," she reminds me and I smile. She reads my mind and kisses me before I can answer. I kiss her back with passion even though I'm so exhausted I still have energy to kiss her.

"Look at you following orders," I mumble between kisses.

"Only from you," the tone in which she responds causes something to spark inside me. Rey rests her forehead against mine; her hand is placed low on my hip as she rubs circles into my bare skin. However, she stops as she adds: "And Luke..."
I frown as the feeling inside of me simmers out as I realise I have to share her - I will always have to share her - and the thought of him controlling her doesn't sit well with me. She presses her lips back onto mine, and I let her lead the kiss. I part my mouth when she runs her tongue along my lip and feel her warmth spread through me as our tongues find a slow and beautiful rhythm together. Her hand runs up my bare skin until she cups my cheek.

We continue to lovingly kiss each other letting the worries and pains of the day fade out between our quick breaths. Our pace slows and eventually she pulls away and I keep my eyes closed as I hug her closer and rest my head on her shoulder. Her warm hand repeatedly brushes over my ear as her fingers run through my curls.

I am half asleep when she whispers: "The doctors said I can leave in a week,"

"Hmm," I mumble, my mouth continues to move but my brain can't comprehend my words.
I feel Rey press her lips to the top of my head and keep them there as her fingers lightly tug through my dark hair. My grip on her hip goes slack as I slowly fall asleep half on top of her.

I feel myself being rolled and moved but I can't seem to open my eyes, my body heavy, shaken from a deep sleep. I grumble and groan but suddenly my eyes immediately snap open at the prospect of Rey needing something, or someone to protect her. But my open eyes meet darkness, and an empty space next to me.
I press my hand to multiple places on the flat surface of the bed, as if Rey could be somewhere further up or further down. She places one hand on the bed, but I cannot see where, I see a shadow approach but I relax and I immediately recognise her touch as she caresses my cheek.
"Shh, go back to sleep," I'm not sure how but my hand lands exactly upon hers when I search for her on the hard mattress again.

"Where are you going?" My voice is strained and crackles with sleep.

"Luke wants to meditate," She whispers and I immediately clench my jaw.

"What time is it?" I protest my eyes slowly able to make out her figure in the darkness. I wonder how they are able to completely drain out the fluorescent lights from the halls and make the rooms so dark.

"Midnight," I furrow my brow.

"No," is all I say.

"I didn't want to wake you..."

"Why,"

"You were so peaceful... and I didn't want to have to say goodbye when I didn't want to leave," she runs her hand down my arm.

"So don't go..." I grumble.

"I knew you'd say that," I feel her lips press softly against my jaw which I hadn't realised was still clenched. "Don't be jealous," she whispers.

"I'm no-"

"Yes you are..." Okay maybe I am, but I won't let her know that I admit it.

"I'll be back in a few hours, you're dinner is still on the tray," she must have eaten without moving me and I can't help but smile at the thought of her compassion. She starts to pull away so I take my hand from hers and easily find her beautiful face so I can pull her back down to kiss me.
She pushes against my arm lightly, pulling away from me, I sigh.

"Don't miss me too much," she uses my line from earlier and I smile before rolling deeper into the pillow.