Chapter 57

Time catches up to me and my feet are charging towards the masked creature who shot Rey. My reflexes move the Lightsaber with ease and I deflect bullets and lasers without my mind needing to comprehend it.
I reach my black cloaked opponent; I avoid a laser by bending down and strike his legs down with ease.
At the first chance I get to take my focus from the knights I look at Rey who has tried her best to stumble into the forest but she has collapses amongst the wildflowers.

I take a deep breath – keeping my promise – I resist the urge to run to her.
I then twist around instinctively, my saber destroying the bowcaster of one of the other knights.

The pilots have gained the upper hand and have shot lasers into the troopers whose blasters have targeted onto me. I ready the saber to face my next opponent when I feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Air gushes past me as an X-Wing takes down the knight in front of me, and a few of the Stormtroopers that are fleeing from the barracks.

I notice the battlefield empty as the troopers cowardly rush onto the large ships they arrived on. The wounded knights follow suit, leaving their dead unceremoniously on the tarmac. The saber closes and I turn my back on the masked and cloaked men. Without warning the green glow ignites and my arm leads my body around to deflect a blaster from one of the knights struggling against death on the asphalt. The laser shoots right back into his chest, and I feel I've done him a courtesy to end his suffering.
Without looking back I rush over to the edge of the forest where Rey's body lies peacefully. Her blood dripping into the flowers around her, her hand is still clasped against her side. The burning green glow disappears inside the hilt and I shove her weapon in my pocket as I bend down. With one knee in the grass and the other foot firmly planted into the ground for support. I gently scoop her into my arms, one arm behind her knees and the other holds her back. As I stand her head dangles violently to the side, so I roll my shoulders and bounce her up slightly so her head falls against my chest. Her hand slips down and fully reveals the wet pool of blood soaking through her clothes. I can hear her breathing, which is a comfort, but it is wheezy and irregular.

I carry her unconscious body through the barracks, and feel myself plummet out of the extraordinary aura I was encompassed in whilst I used her Lightsaber. My adrenaline slowly decreases as I try my hardest to carefully, yet quickly take her to the infirmary; which I am sure will be full to capacity as soon as the wounded pilots return.
I hear the scurry of feet, and the groaning of a lot of men and women. I tap my foot, impatiently waiting for the sliding door to open.

"Is that really necessary? Put her in there." A nurse says to me quickly, gesturing to an empty room.

"She's been shot, she's unconscious, bleeding and I'm not putting her anywhere unless I know she's going to be looked after," I stand my ground, trying not to let my arms shake.

"Fine, take her down to the second ward,"
The nurse rushes off when a loud beeping erupts. I do as she says and manoeuvre through the crowd of wounded soldiers. I carefully walk her down the stairs, being sure to hold onto her tightly so she doesn't slip from my arms.

There is more commotion down here, it's busier and I the people blur into blood and bruises mixed with tears and burns.
I approach the droid at the desk, emotionless and indifferent to the suffering around us, I replay her injuries and the droid concludes she needs urgent attention and sends me to take her to the front of the line.

"Starla," I call as soon as I see her, her short blonde hair swishes as she turns her attention towards me. Her calm features flicker with distress at the sight of me, sweaty, my jacket tarnished with scotch marks and holding my world in my arms.

"Finn," she is concerned, her stress free facade broken.

I look at her with a pleading expression, "Please, you have to help her," she nods.

"Come with me," she disappears into the mess of frantic people, some sniffing others groan in agony. I try to keep up with her as best I can.
"Put her in here, and I'll make sure someone comes to," she pauses, searching for the words "fix her up," I nod, trying not to think about what she means by 'fix'. I lay her on the bed, as gently as I can.
I kiss her forehead, refusing to discover the feeling of kissing her lips when they don't kiss me back. I kiss her once more on the forehead, running my fingers along her cheek before I reluctantly leave the room.

The pulse of adrenaline still pumps through my veins, but I can feel it dwindle with every step.

I try to make my way up the stairs and out of the infirmary. I take a deep breath as I rush down the halls and back outside.
White armour glimmers under the floodlights and resistance army uniform is dull, blending slightly into the tarmac.
The remaining pilots suddenly appear, the ones capable of walking support their fellow comrades. Medics rush around me, pilots and soldiers on stretchers, being wheeled into the barrack; there are too many people to count.
"Poe, where is Poe Dameron?" I ask loudly when the pilots are in earshot.

One shakes his head, gripping tightly onto his friend, "I don't know," his voice is strained.

"I saw him go down, but haven't seen him since," I hear a woman's voice but I can't see her. I nod once, I start surveying, I see a few plumes of smoke and leaves that are still burning.

"You should get that looked at," the first pilot adds looking down at my leg.
I look down and notice the hole in my pants, singed skin burns a dark red with hints of purple and the fabric has melted into it. Instinctively I reach down and touch it, the skin squishes slightly and it stings, but it is bearable, oh that's fine.

"Thanks,it'll be alright," I address him with a smile and he looks at me suspiciously,raising an eyebrow before dragging his fellow pilot along the tarmac to thebarracks.