Chapter 32

It is as if I am in slow motion, my feet are barely moving, and Rey's chest takes an extremely long time to expand as she inhales. Her death is the only thing I can comprehend, and I am indifferent about it. All of a sudden it is as if I feel a light spreads through me and I hear her voice, yet her mouth does not move.

"Come back to me, Finn," her plea is barely a whisper over Kylo Ren's demand pounding through my mind. My heart is telling me to fight his control but my feet continue to approach her.
Rey is calm, eyes closed, almost accepting what I am about to do, suddenly I cannot move another step. She is a metre or so in front of me but I am trapped by a type of invisible shield. I hear her voice again, louder this time.
"You are not a Stormtrooper, you will not hurt me." She orders, and I feel a battle begin to rage inside of me; a battle of light and dark.
The light that only glows when I'm with Rey spreads from my heart. The darkness, however, is too overpowering. Suddenly they clash, and the orders I was given mingle together in a mess of words. I am frozen in place.
I focus on the way Rey looks calm as she too tries to fight the darkness inside my head. I can sense the way she seems to embrace my mind, attempting to sort through the mess it has become.
"Close your eyes," she whispers distantly. I follow her request, slowly lowering my eye lids as she endeavours to use her skills to bring me back to her, and to balance my thoughts. "You will not hurt me," I relax slightly as Rey's words begin to become louder, sinking deeper into me, until they gain power over me.

"I will not hurt you." I repeat her order as the memories of last night flash behind my closed eyes. My skin tingles at the memory of her lips on my neck and my hands in her hair.
I sense Kylo approaching, and Rey's voice suddenly fades. His close proximity and breath on the back of my neck turns my blood cold, and my body straightens, stiffening. I fully succumb to him, ready to obey my superior.

"You will kill her, she is a threat." His words trigger my mind into losing all concept of my identity. Indifference flows through me until every sliver of light Rey provides has been smothered by darkness. Rey's voice no longer breaks through. Kylo uses his outstretched hand to press against Rey's mind, her invisible shield disintegrating allowing for my feet to move slowly towards her again. Her eyes hold uncertainty, I can feel the way she fears me; she picks up my blaster which lies close to her and shakily points it in Kylo's direction.

I approach her, her finger fumbles on the trigger; I bend her arm back and grip onto the blaster. I feel the power flow through her, it radiates off her and her knee forcefully thrusts into my stomach. The blaster falls from both of hands and lands a small way away. I stumble back from the force of her attack; she is strong, but I know I am stronger. She may have been on her own from a young age, teaching herself how to survive, but I was trained from birth, to kill. I lunge for her, my hands ready to grip her neck but she deflects them with her arms. She grips one of my wrists, and twists us around so she has my arm pinned to my bare back.

"I don't want to hurt you," she whimpers, her hold loosens ever so slightly and I twist out of her grip and shove her back against the wall near the bathroom door.

"I am stronger than you," I am unaware that the words fall from my lips, I watch as her jaw clenches. She slips out of my grip and is about kick the back of my knees when I twist around; my reflexes instinctively grab hold of her outstretched leg. I watch her fret as I trip her, her back slumming onto the carpeted floor. Rey struggles to breathe curling slightly to one side as she tries to regain the air that was so violently knocked from her lungs.
I step over her so that she lies between my legs before I aggressively lean down, rolling her onto her back, and sprawling out her limbs. I heavily sit on her thighs, immobilising her legs. I lean over her, my scar stretching at the extensive movement, but I am unaware of the repercussions of my movements. As my hands hold her down I notice the patch of red on her upper arm; her blaster shot wound has torn open and blood has soaked through her bandage and the sleeve of her nightgown. I take that as a sign of weakness, an advantage for me.
I capture her fist with my hand before it comes in contact with the side of my head. I take both of her small callused hands in one of mine and hold them above her head. My breathing deepens as I try to keep her restrained underneath me.
No thought other than my order to assassinate her crosses my mind. I am not concerned about how my weight may crush her, nor do I care that we both prefer when she's is on top. She squirms beneath me, kicking her legs and flailing her arms to no avail.

I observe the moment she becomes aware she cannot defeat me; that I am stronger than her. I watch as distress arrives in her eyes once I reach for her throat with my free hand. I clasp my fingers around her neck; the feeling sends uncomfortable shiver through me, which I easily ignore with my focus being on Kylo's order throbbing through me. I witness the look of utter terror as she her wide eyes gaze right into mine.
Rey struggles to breathe, but is somehow able to wriggle her hands free from underneath my grip; so I quickly move my free hand to grip her throat as well. She grabs hold of both of my wrists as they constrict tightly around neck. She digs her nails into my skin. I am slightly confused when I witness her eyes abruptly lose their fear, and she becomes overwhelmed with something I cannot quite place. Rey then uses all of her strength to tear my grip from her and restrict my fingers from seizing her neck again. Kylo's demand continues to swim in my veins. I must complete his request. We fight for power, I push against her, trying to reach for her throat, but she shoves both my hands onto the floor. Gazing into my eyes with such intensity I can't seem to keep my strength. Rey takes my right hand and somehow spreads my palm flat, placing both of our hands forcefully over my bare chest. My breath catches and my body freezes. Not even Kylo's voice reaches me as I feel the way my heart beats beneath my fingers. Everything seems to have stopped. Neither Rey nor I blink as she takes my other hand, I willing let her place it against the left side of her chest. If I had full control over my thoughts I'd be surprised by her faith in me. Instead my brows crease together as I look down at her. A thousand memories and emotions pulse through my fingertips and surge through my veins, her light seeping through my fingertip and guiding me through the darkness; the power of it almost toppling me off of her. Rey is not using the Force, or any mind tricks, I can't sense her inside head like I could before. No, I am fighting my way back to her on my own.
She uses my sudden vulnerability to overpower me. Everything goes black.