Chapter 56

All I remember is immediately shooting down the two TIE fighters and destroying the canon which shot Poe down. Everything after that was a blur, but somehow Rey and I are on the tarmac, side by side. The lights are so bright sometimes it is hard to see the fight, but I occasionally see the green glow of her Lightsaber out of the corner of my eye. Sparks ricocheting in all directions, I feel some seer into the fibres of Poe's old jacket. Lasers pour out of my blaster and collide with any Stormtrooper in my path; Han's old gun swinging and knocking against my back while we try our best to defend the next squad of pilots boarding the X-Wings. I do not have to overly worry about defending myself because Rey is always one step ahead of our opponents and is able to deflect any shots I cannot avoid.

We are losing too many X-Wings, the Resistance's defences keeps shooting them down as well.

As the drone of the next group of fighters sound Rey start to make her way to the other side of the tarmac; her focus is on finding Luke and finding out what is happening.

I so desperately want to look for Poe, so much so that my feet lead me to the edge of the forest. I stare into the darkness between the trees.
I made a promise. I remind myself.

We survived a much worse crash before, I probably won't be able to find him because he would have ejected from the fighter before impact.
I hope BB-8 is okay.

I attempt to close off my mind and decide to focus on trying to take back control of our weapons. That will help us to take away the First Order's upper hand.
I rush into the forest, then turn to the direction of the Base, I use the trees as cover so I can make my way to the doors wouldn't encountering any troubles. When I find the clearest exit point I make a break for the automatic door. I hear the blast of lasers, but their aim is always terrible. I squeeze through the metal doors just as a squad of resistance troops jog in formation to create a fortress at the entrance.

I follow the familiar corridors towards the military compound.
Alarms screech, and talking and yelling mixes together.
Stormtroopers guard the entrance and bodies lie on the ground, my reflexes are too fast for them and I shoot them down, and then I hide against the wall and peek through the doors. It is as if I am looking at a wave, their white armour moves like the ocean. They fill almost every area of the compound.
I decide that there is no way I would be able to defeat them. So I do the only thing I know how to do. Run.

 Not away, no, I run right into the compound.

I weave in between the troopers, and it takes a little while for them to realise that I am not one of them. One raises the alarm, but he is too late. I have reached the back door, and I slide it up manually, letting it down heavily behind me before locking it using the access keypad.
The spark of a laser clipping the sleeve of my jacket causes me to swing around and shoot down the trooper guarding the power console. I rush over to it, it is locked by a code.
I stare at it, hearing the banging of the Stormtroopers trying to pry open the door open. I stare at the numbers, and search my mind for the correct combination. I string together a code of numbers and by some miracle I am able to open it. I am now faced with the task do deciphering which buttons and levers control what.

I conclude all of large ones can be turned off. I flick off a few small buttons, and main power sources; including the defence weapons, and all the holograms in the military compound. I override the emergence backup system. I make sure that the infirmary still has power and the floodlights are still on outside, because darkness does not sound appealing. I quickly close it. I hear the grainy sounds and smell of burning metal as they begin to cut open the door. I laugh and squeeze through the emergence exit tunnel which leads to small door at the side of the Base. I open it and rush back to rejoin the battle.

I already see the difference I made, the X-Wings are able to take back control and their teamwork gives them an advantage.
The Troopers are forced back, and are easily defeated.

I see Rey's hair falling from its buns across the tarmac; I see a dark, looming figure wearing a black cloak, and a mask. I make my way to her, dodging away from any ammunition fired my way. She stands in the centre of the tarmac but her eyes don't waver from her opponent. I feel anger seethe in my veins; he needs to pay for what he has done. Lasers from Rey opponent collide with her Lightsaber and yellow sparks spit into the atmosphere. I charge my blaster and aim it, ready to fire.

That is when I notice that filing from a nearby enemy ship pours out more cloaked, dark figures.
Rey isn't facing Kylo; no it's the Knights of Ren. There are five of them all together and they all approach Rey. Her mouth moves but her words don't reach me over the commotion above and around me. Rey does not seem overwhelmed, but capable and focused. I run the rest of the way to her, firing the weapon. My ears pound with the crackle of the lasers and the burn of adrenaline blocks out the sirens and alarms that blare around us. I knock down one of the knights, but it only draws their attention to me. I am able to dodge their lasers, and stand beside Rey. I try to lead us to cover, but every move is cut off by trying to avoid lasers from troopers and Knights all around us. Some Stormtroopers fire at the X-Wings, but fail and end up getting shot down first. Rey defends the both us the best she can.

"Finn, get down." she shouts and I immediately follow her order, bending down and feel the heat of the laser fired from one of the blasters singe the top of my hair. As soon as I hear the sound again I feel the warmth of her body as she launches herself to protect me, deflecting another laser and it hits one if the knights in the chest. She hunches over me and it takes a moment but feel a burning sensation radiate through my leg: her lightsaber is pressed against my thigh, and I instinctively jolt away from it.

As if in slow motion her weapon contracts and her body slips off mine, and she stumbles back. I frantically look at her breathing heavily, her eyes locked on mine, a laser rushes past me, but I do not take any notice. Her eyes brim with tears, her hand is clasped over the left side of her body, her fingers holding the bottom of her ribcage, and she looks at me almost begging for forgiveness. She extends her right hand and holds out her lightsaber, for me. I feel myself become frantic, rage and confusion bubble inside my body. I flicker my eyes back down to see a vibrant red soaking through her pale tunic.
I now have hold of the lightsaber as I take it from her open palm. I feel the power buzzing, flowing into my veins. I turn to face the knight who shot Rey, standing poised, both hands on the hilt. The buzzing of the crystal activating sounds, and I feel a calmness enter my soul. As if anger is unobtainable, the feeling floods me with power and a sense of ease. Above all else it makes me feel as if I have more strength than humanly possible and I have complete control over it.