Chapter 43: Don't Judge a Book

Start from the beginning

I put my arm around him to comfort him and tried to get him to cheer up a bit.

"Hey don't worry. I'll talk to River about letting you see your sister okay?"

He nodded his head yes and I gave him a big hug to brighten his mood.

Eventually it worked and he got on the floor and started playing with his wrestling action figures.

Max walked in not too soon after with a freshly shaved face.

"You should really stop shaving so much." I stated. "You have a legit baby face."

"Guess who doesn't care? This guy." He pointed to himself. "Now come here, I wanna talk to you about something."

Uh oh. That was never good. I immediately started thinking of all the bad things I could've done. Did I fight anyone? No.
Did I break something? No.
Did I do anything illegal? Not that I know of.

I followed him into his room and sat at the end of his bed waiting for him to tell me what this was all about.

He gave me a weird look and put his hands on his hips as if he was contemplating what he wanted to tell me.

"Max what is it?" I asked as I started to get a bit worried.

He sat down next to me and looked at me with all seriousness.
"We need to talk about what happened between us."

As soon as he said that I felt like getting up and running all the way back home. I was not ready for this conversation.

"Or we can forget it ever happened." I suggested.

"But I can't." He replied. "We can't escape the fact that we had sex. When I said I was in love with you, I meant it."

I gulped (pretty loudly I might add) and I felt sweat start to form on my forehead. Not out of nervousness though, I was just really uncomfortable.

My heart skipped a beat as I tried to think of how to react but I was literally as still as a statue.

"Cassie?" He said trying to bring me out of my daze.

I looked at him to let him know that I was still listening.

"I know this all seems a bit crazy to you, but trust me when I say it feels just as crazy to me."

"How long have you felt this way?" I calmly asked.

"I- I honestly don't know. That night, I didn't mean to kiss you at all but it felt like something was pushing me towards you. There was a voice in my head telling me to do it. I didn't know I had feelings for you until after the kiss."

I shivered at the words coming out of his mouth. I got more and more uncomfortable with every second that passed.

"Okay so are we done here?" I impatiently asked.

"No." He stated. "That's not why I wanted to talk to you."

I looked at him in confusion wondering what he was about to throw at me next.

"Cassie, you kissed me back instead of pushing me away....why?"

"I don't know what you mean." I lied.

"You don't have to lie piccola, just tell me." He insisted.

"Like I said earlier, how about we just forget what happened and move on with our lives." I stated as I stood up and walked towards the door.

"You know we can't do that." He simply replied while still sitting on the bed.

"And why not?" I asked without even turning around to look at him, my hand still on the doorknob.