6 - Cope Up

December 25, 2004
Tokyo, Japan.

Akihiko's POV:

"What magic did that girl do?" A voice suddenly heard in the room. Someone is already watching us for a very long time.

"Oh...uhh..." I sounded a alarm...that somebody has discovered Azusa's magical powers. I looked towards the door and...hehehe...what do you know! It's just my dad! However for Azusa...

"Oh! I'm sorry for my magic..." Azusa lowered her voice and apologize. "I might probably disturbed you and your son because of me..."

"Huh?! What are you talking about?" My father walked closer towards the bedside. "I won't gonna hurt you as long as you're not bad."

Father gave Azusa some fruits to eat and a special present that he had brought since Azusa was brought to the hospital.

"Why, thank you, Sir!" She quickly opened the gift...and took out...a T-shirt bearing a cute little teddy bear as painting...

"I just brought that because I thought that you might like it." Father explained why a simple painted T-shirt is what he had only brought. But it is visible that Azusa is smile while glancing at the t-shirt...

"I'll take it! Thanks, Sir!" Azusa then hugged the t-shirt she received.

"By the way, your name is Lily, right?"

"Huh?! Please keep my name as a secret, please?!" The blushing girl pleads to my dad. "Just call me Azusa Otosaka, please?"

Since he had heard all the secrets of this masquerading princess, I suppose that my dad will understand the situation...

"Hehehe! I'm just joking, dear. Of course, Azusa! Why don't you stay with us for a while..."

"What? Really? Oh, thank you very much!" Azusa is visibly excited on my dad's offer.

For the next days, me and my parents are taking turns in watching over Azusa. Being a newcomer from a different world, we teach her about so many things that she will be doing onve she leaves the hospital and transferred into our house. I must have say...Azusa actually mastered all of those we taught her...so practically...she will be...my sister...

January 3, 2005
Koizumi Residence, Tokyo, Japan

Lily/Azusa's POV:

"Supernatet et Terram!!!"

From my bed, a cast a spell so that I could transfer myself from the bed into the wheelchair that Akihito's parents has given me. I wheeled myself towards the backyard of the house...

"...sniff....aaah...." I exposed myself into the fresh and cold morning air before I initiate my training to preserve my magic skills...

"Initium Magicae Artis Pugnae!!!"

With this spell, a magical field formed on the backyard...but only I can only see. Don't worry...it's just dummies that I could test my magic on. And since it only visible to those who has even a bit of magic powers, it will not make a actual damage to the house. If ordinary people will see me while training, you can only see me staring blankly.

"Terrae Custa!!!" With this spell...I could pull out some rock from the ground, wrap around the dummy and squeeze it until it is destroyed...

"Procellam Effusam!!!" I gathered the wind, swirl it quickly...and shoot it towards the dummy to throw it out of its place...

"Lapidem Dura Fluctus!!!" I formed the huge ball of water and mold it as hard as a rock and throw it to the dummy with a full force.

"In Gehennam Ignis!!!" From my hand, a blue-colored flame sparks...I waited to ignite further until I throw it in several successive times...until the dummy is extinguished into ash...

"Fulgur Caelo Est Divinum!!!" From the heavens above, I call on a powerful lightning that electrocutes the dummy until it also turns into dust. But I won't let all of my attacked dummies to be like trash...

"Vetita Novae Caesareae Carmen Ascia...Sanitatem Divina Genere!!!" The entire field is illuminated, reforming the destroyed dummies to its original form...before I dismantle this imaginary magical field...

"Propinquus Magicis Agri!!!" The magical field disappears...and I returned into my senses...

But then...I felt something...somebody is watching my practice from the very start...

"You have done a great work out there, Azusa-chan!"

"Eeek!!!" I startled by the voice that I suddenly heared. I look towards my back and saw...Akihito's mom. "Di-did you know my magic?!"

"Of course, sweetie!" She walked towards me and smiled. "I have also done your spells when I was a shrine maiden."

"Shrine...maiden?"

"Yes, dear." She sat beside me and describe more about her job. "We are working in shrines to guide all spirits, living and the dead, towards their rightful places. If they became more violent, we resort to magic, like you have just did."

"Wait, wha-what?! Spirits?!" Suddenly, my face began to blush. "Is that also means gho-ghosts?!"

"Yes, dear. I've just told you! Hehehe!"

Despite being the most powerful mage in Nova Ascia, I still have my weakness: the fear of ghosts. I remember when I was still a princess, that every Friday, some random ghosts appear on the castle; that when I supposed to go out of my room to drink some glass of water and I saw that ghost...eeek!!! I'm really scream for help and run very quickly back to the room, I even triped and fall sometimes! Huhuhu!!!

Akihiko's mother saw my distressed face when she told me about ghosts. She then get my wand and waved while...

"You know, Azusa, you should not be afraid of ghosts and spirits. That's why you have all the magic to guide them. You only need to use it effectively to succeed. Dear, I feel you...you are in search of answers of so many questions, why you are here in our world...why you become paralyzed...why fate is against you...you need to stop believing in fear...so that your mind will be clearer...and the path will be cleared for you..."

With these words...I understand it now...probably this is the secret of being a shrine maiden, being resilient despite fear...yes...the model mage of Nova Ascia that my father is teaching me before...it might be hard to master it...but...

"Mam, how do I become a shrine maiden?"

"Oh! You're interested, huh? Hehehe! Alright!" Akihito's mom was gladdened by my plea. "You might find yourself working with my son! Hehehe!"

"Why?"

"Akihiko is helping with the shrine maidens in the altar, so he might help you."

"Really?! Hehehe! Cool!"

June 27, 2005
Izanagi Shrine, Tokyo, Japan

Akihiko's POV:

"Akihiko-kun! Please clean the altar. The tourists have finished praying."

"Yes, Rin-sama!"

I hurriedly come to the altar with a pail of water and a damp cloth. I need to wipe out all the ash because a new batch of tourists will come next. But I found something in it that it is difficult to remove. It's just a matter of time before...huh? Why is my mom arrived? She is now retired just months ago, right?

"Minna-san, I would like to introduce to you our new chief shrine maiden..."

Hmm...it's about time. It's been half a year since my mom stepped down as this temple's chief shrine maiden. And her replacement is...huh?! Wait, what?!?! It's...Azusa-chan!!!

"Umm...ni-nice to me-meet you. I'm Azusa Otosaka...umm...I hope tha-that we will be friends..."