Chapter 48

Jason's Pov

We went out for lunch and Kayla seemed quiet. She never really talked a lot but I just wanted to be her friend. I always saw her and she looked lonely in the cafeteria sitting in the corner and no one bothered to talk to her.

"Kayla you hungry?" I asked.

"Um no thanks." Kayla said.

"Come on Kay. You gotta eat something." I said.

Kay looked at me with something in her eyes before taking a bite of her food making me smile.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Pizza. You don't know what pizza is?" I asked.

A tear left her eye before she shook her head.

"Hey come on." I said.

I kissed her forehead. I picked her up and grabbed the pizza and took her to the car.

She was full on crying now.

I quickly drove to a quiet place to skip school. She needed it. It was a grassy area and I sat down and pulled her to my lap and hełd her.

"Shh." I said. I kissed her cheek.

She continued crying quietly as she stained my shirt but I didn't care. Only because she was special.

"I should get home." She said.

"Stay the night at my place." I said.

"Jason-"

I put a finger on her lips.

"I'm not taking no for an answer." I whispered. She nodded as we stayed like that for awhile. I wanted to stay like this forever.

I was starting to... like her. It wasn't a crush that would go away anymore. It was growing bigger and bigger.

I carried her back into the car and kissed her cheek. She was so innocent.

And someone was hurting. Probably someone at home but I didn't have any proof but once I did I'd tell the police.

I pulled up to an ice cream place and Kayla looked like a lost puppy.

"You like ice cream?" I asked.

"Will I?" She asked.

"Of course. Come on." I said smiling.

I ordered her chocolate because she loved chocolate.

She ate it and she didn't smile she just nodded.

"I like it." She said. What the heck? How can you not smile?!

"Kay do you smile?" I asked.

"There's nothing to smile about." Jay said.

I didn't say anything as she ate the ice cream. I looked at the time and school had ended by now so I got back in the car with Kayla.

"Jason I can't go to your place." Kay said.

"Kay I'll keep you safe." I promised.

I brought her to the empty house and gave her some of my clothes to change into.

She put it on and she looked so cute.

I smiled and pecked her cheek.

"Go to sleep." I whispered.

"I don't want to be a burden." She whispered.

"You're not Kay. Sleep." I said as I out my arms around her holding her close.
************
The next morning my door opened to see Alexa.