A Battle Inside (Chara's PoV)

"Waking from a nightmare is difficult Chara, but if you can, always think of those who need and love you. I'll always be here to hold you tight and fight the demons away."

"But Mommy... what if I become a demon?"

"Oh Chara, you could never become a demon. You're too sweet and innocent. It's not like you could ever kill anyone!"

"I'm scared Mommy... I live with demons..."

"Who? It's just me and your... Father..."

"Exactly. Daddy is a demon. That's why he hits you, and me, right?"

"Oh, Chara. I wish it were true. But no, Daddy isn't a demon..."

"Daddy's a monster..."

I awaken from my dream and blink away the blurriness at the edges of my vision. Not a demon? Monsters... Nightmares... Ugh, just stupid human memories of that bastard and my sweet Mother. Gentle and innocent, you'd never guess a demon like myself was her spawn. I'm nothing like her. I'm just like Him. My monstrous Father, content to drink like a demon, and fight like a mad-man. The abusive fucker.

I want nothing to do with him. I want none of this blood on my hands. I want a happier life. I wish to be happy. I want to... to... to RESET. I want to redeem myself.

"You understand, right? YOU UNDERSTAND HOW IT FEELS?" Tears stream from my chocolate eyes and I clutch Frisk's jumper tightly. The clean scent of home clings desperately to the fabric, and I close my eyes momentarily.
"please... PLEASE! LET ME RESET! I DON'T WANNA BE A KILLER! I WANNA BE A GOOD CHILD! I WANT MY MOMMA! I... I wanna be good like my Momma... please... Mercy... ple...ase..." I break down into wild sobs and kneel in the ash of the former Royal scientist. My hysterical crying only gets more crazed as time passes, with no hint of a RESET button appearing.

I wish I could SAVE them all... Asriel, Toriel, Asgore, Muffet, Papyrus, Sans, Alphys... I wish we could live like Frisk. But we can't. It was pre-written for us. We are evil, we are broken. We cannot exist by being nice, or kind. In this timeline, it's kill or be killed...

But maybe, if I summon enough determination, it doesn't have to be that way. After all, everyone deserves MERCY right? Everyone deserves a shot at redemption, and kindness, and happiness.

Even the demons.

I stand weakly, and mute my sobs, sniffles, and cries. I reach inwards to the tainted gold soul that is mine, and feel a pulsating red glow engulf my pitiful golden glow. Frisk. She's... she's saving them. She's saving me. And I doubt she knows either. Her Determination, her Drive, her Need and Desire to SAVE those who she can't SAVE, in the end, she really is the good one. Pure. Just like my Mom. But I can be too. I force myself to stay Determined, no matter the pain I feel in my Soul.

"Don't give up Chara! Don't forget, happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one remembers to turn on the light!"

"Aw, did my little girl hurt herself? Don't worry, I'll patch you up in no time!"

"I'm here for you babygirl, any time you need your Momma, she's right here. In your heart and Soul."

Oh Mom... I hope you can be proud of me one day. I'm sorry... I push my love, determination, and hopes and dreams out of my Soul, and form them into a RESET button. My body convulses, and the pain that's striking me is unbearable, but I hold on. I can hold on. I will hold on! I force a weak and sweaty hand up to the button and push it with all my might.

---

I wake up on a bed of flowers, my head hurting from the pain of the fall. Damn it, I thought I had finally killed myself! Then I would be away from that... that.. murderer! I glance upwards and, to my surprise, see a small... goat boy? Wearing a green and yellow sweater? Wha...? Maybe I am dead...

"You're not dead silly! Just badly hurt! Now c'mon, let me get you to my Mom, she'll look after you if you don't mind. Uh, you okay? You look a bit green... uh, I don't know if humans are meant to look green..." The Kid trails off and I laugh at my punny pun. 

"HEY! Are you laughing at me?!" He half yells, half cries, and I smile widely at him. I remember now.

Chara Dreemurr, home at last. And this time, I'm here to make things right. 

"Hey, I'm Chara. Sorry I fell into your home. Kinda rude to drop in unannounced." I hear the chuckles and giggles of Toriel and Asgore behind me, and their kind smiles are etched upon their faces when I turn around. 

"Wait, was that a pun?!" Asriel gasps, then laughs merrily, and I smile through my tears. My brother. We're together again. And this time I won't mess everything up. 

"You bet it was, you goat to admit, they're pretty punny." I crack up, remembering Asriel's complete hatred of puns in any form. 

"Daaaaaaad, Mooooooooom, she's almost as bad as you two! Can we keep her?" He whines, and I grin up at my Mom and Dad. 

"Why, of course! Uh- if she wants to stay with us! Not as in a pet! Uh..." I giggle at Asgore's clumsy words, and Toriel's fond smack across the head.

"What he means to say is, welcome to our family; Chara Dreemurr."

---

(Frisk's PoV)

"Reckon Char's happy now?" I smile, knowing my Timeline Twin is happy in her new run. Pacifism, her new choice. She's living proof that everyone can become a better person.

"I don't really care, I'm glad she's out of our hair now." Sans murmurs from underneath the pile of clothes he hid in to escape my wrath. I can cook.

"Sans! She's a person! I'm glad she's happy. At least everything should be quiet now, right?" 

"Nope. Ya jinxed it now." He sticks up one of his white shirts, in surrender I guess. 

"Whatever, sore loser. Papyrus said dinner would be done any minute now, come on. Get off your ass for once, Lazy-Bones." I poke him with my stick and skip towards the kitchen.

"Ya love me really!" He shouts in reply.