Chapter 48

I didn't say anything. I just stared at her with my eyebrows drawn together in confusion.

"I can hear your thoughts you dummy," she rolled her eyes and let go of my hand. "Kate, it has nothing to do with you you beautiful human. I've been having a hard time with having to be in two places at once which with my powers you would think it's easy, but it's not because I have no idea what's going on in Centennial when I'm here."

"You're moving to Centennial?" I asked quietly.

"Yes," she sighed. "We're getting older, Katie, and plus my work is there. I am the super there. I have an obligation to help the people of Centennial, you know? It will just be easier to be there in town."

I looked at her for a moment, and then my face softened into a smile. I pulled her in for a hug.

"Oh good, you're not mad," she laughed and hugged me tighter.

"You git, why would I be mad at you for wanting to move forward in your life? The connection you have with Centennial is the same one I have for Central. I support you whatever you want to do and I know you wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't the best thing for you to do."

She pulled back. "That's why you will always be my sister and my best friend."

"I guess we will just have to get together for the holidays and such," I said. "On the plus side, you can always pop into town or I could run to you."

She smiled widely. "That sounds like a plan."

I paused as I thought for a moment.

"The apartment is yours, Kate. The costs has been covered for you," she read my mind.

"What? No, I can't have you pay for this just for me to live here!" I shut her down.

She rolled her eyes and stood up. "Of course I can. This is my parting gift to you. Plus, where would you live?"

She had a point. She pulled me up to stand with her.

"You're going to smile and accept what I give you," she commanded.

I smiled. "Aye aye, Miss Portal."

She nodded once in approval. "So, now I think we need to have one last night here in the apartment."

My face fell. "You're leaving tomorrow?"

She looked at me sadly. "My boss has me starting another case this weekend. I wanted to move in as soon as I could, but I wanted to tell you first."

"So you already found a place?" I asked quietly.

She nodded. I could feel the water well up in my eyes.

"Don't you dare cry you big baby," she said sternly.

I could see tears in her eyes, too. She pulled me in for another hug.

"One last night," she quietly.

I pulled away, wiped off my eyes, and nodded. "One last night."

And that's how we ended up on the floor in our pajamas with tubs of ice cream around us and empty bottles of vodka and little test tubes filled with enhanced alcohol watching home movies.

"You were such a dork back then," Amanda laughed at teenager me.

I had to admit, I was.

"Yea, but I was a cool dork," I retorted. "Everyone secretly loved me."

"Remember when cousin Bret came over and we ended up crashing dad's new car?" Amanda reminisced.

I yelled. "Oh my goodness, he was so pissed! Bret was grounded for weeks!"