Chapter 22

Barry explained to me that the man in the yellow suit, the one who Barry knew murdered his mother, had broke into Mercury Labs and was looking for something.

After Barry explained this, Joe West appeared from the doorway, too.

"The witness described a yellow-blur," he said in his low voice. "just like the one that killed Barry's mother."

"Then we need to get crackin' and stop this speed psycho," Cisco said using his own creative words.

"I second that," I said with my hand raised.

"That, I wasn't trying to give him a name," he made sure to say.

"The crime scene at Mercury Labs was on a floor with high secured vaults, and the witness said he was looking for something," Barry added.

"Whatever it was, he wanted it badly enough to kill for it," Dr. Wells said quietly, but still so everyone could hear.

"Doctor, what do you know about this Mercury Labs?" Joe asked.

"Mercury was one of S.T.A.R. Labs major competitors until our little setback and then it catapulted to the fore front led by Dr. Christina McGee," he answered, pulling up her picture. "Brilliant, but egocentric Physicist."

"It says here Dr. McGee has secured half-a-billion dollars in private funding to develop, and I quote, 'Prototypes for the technology of the future'," Cisco read from his tablet.

"Well, I'll be," Dr. Wells murmured. "Tina's messing with tachyons."

Joe looked at him as if the clarify, but Amanda spoke up instead.

"Super luminal particles."

"Of course," the detective said. "So, what could someone do with one of those--"

"Tachyons," I filled in for him.

He thanked me.

"Well, I don't know. Become invincible. If you could devise a matrix stable enough to harness their power you could travel faster than light," Dr. Wells explained.

"He's gonna try and get them again," Barry spoke up. "So we need to get what mercury has and use it as a lure."

"You're exactly right," Dr. Wells agreed. "Cisco. Caitlyn. Let's start engineering a trap."

A "Got it" and "Of course" could be heard from both of them as they got to work.

Barry looked worried do I went over to him and hugged him from behind.

"We'll catch this guy, Barr," I said reassuringly. "He won't get away with what he did."

Barry hugged my arms so I kissed his cheek and rested my head on his shoulder.

"I hope you're right."

December 23, 2014

I was sitting in one of Barry's comfy chairs in his personal lab since I had nothing else to do. I had brought my camera and was looking through my pictures, deleting the ones that didn't turn out well and saving the ones that I thought had potential. Since I had quit my job at the bakery, I was looking to sell some photographs.

Immersed in my work and Barry starring blankly at his wall of his mother's murder case, I barely heard when Iris had came in.

"Hey, Kate," she smiled at me.

"Hey, Iris," I replied with my own small smile. "He's just thinking so go ahead and bother him."

She walked towards him calling his name to get him out of whatever land he was in.