What side are you on?

Começar do início

            “He is helping…” she made a face like she was going to puke, putting her hand over her mouth and then swallowed it back down. I took another careful step onward. Alice let go of the door and wobbled past the broken table, tilting her head slightly and noticing the blood all over the floor as she collapsed onto the couch, Rick by her side every step of the way. “Jeeze what did you do?” she burped, making the face again.

            Rick stood beside her as he straightened himself up, wiping invisible dirt off his shirt and moving a lose strand of his hair behind his head. “Hey,” he looked at me with a slight smile. “Sorry about that phone call, I hadn’t realized the feelings my brother had for you.” He said taking a few steps back and ignoring Alice’s comment about Zane being her brother and not his. “I saw her at the club…she was getting into trouble and I knew she was friends with you, and my brother would be devastated is something were to happen.”

            I clutched at the knife tighter as I stood beside the wall that separated the kitchen from the living room, still dressed in nothing but my underwear and a t-shirt, but he didn’t seem to mind. His hair was a dark brown, curled against his face, prickles all over his bottom chin. His body was slim, his clothes baggy and hanging loosely on his frame. His lips pulled into a thin line, and I could tell it was a little awkward for him considering he must have known about what happened to me. I glanced over at Alice who was dozing off in the seat. “Thank you.” I said simply.

            He nodded his head and started toward the door but paused before going outside. “Jad did tell me what had happened. I’m sorry about that. My uncle…my adoptive family, they don’t trust our kind. I’d never say this to them, but Jad and I, we don’t trust them either, and we think what they are doing to you guys is wrong. I know the stories about Alexander…he kills people and don’t think that’s right, but wanting to kill you and even her…” he looked over at Alice who was now passed out, her mouth open and her head back. “It’s not right.” He looked back at me. “I’m sorry, but they are my family and they are trying to help our kind too even if you don’t believe it.” He was about to step out of the door, grabbing the handle and pulling it closed. “By the way…I never got your name? I know it’s weird right? After all this talk about you,”

            I opened my mouth to speak, but Zane opened the bathroom door, I whirled around to look at him, thrusting the knife back into the drawer before either one of them had seen it. Zane looked at me with a curious expression. “What is it?” he asked as I turned my head to look at Rick, but the door was shut, and he was no longer there. I turned back to Zane and shook my head.

            “Nothing…it’s nothing. Umm, Alice is back.” I pointed backwards and stepped aside. Zane walked forward his hair plastered to his skin, the towel wrapped tightly around his hips showing the V that led down farther to the hidden parts from his cloth. He peered over through the hole in the wall over the sink and looked at Alice.

            “How did she get home?” he turned around and leaned against it, crossing his arms.

            “One of her friends dropped her off.” I shrugged and looked at him, starting to feel very tired. I glanced over at the clock blinking above the stove. It was four in the morning, and then I felt ten times as tired knowing how late it was. I moved away from Zane and grabbed the blanket off the side of the couch and then draped it over Alice before returning back to the kitchen. “We need to clean up the blood too…” I said without looking at him though I knew he was staring at me. “I’m really tired. I want to sleep.” I started off toward my bedroom, but stopped when I felt his hand on my shoulder.

            “Are you okay?” he turned me around to face him. “Talk to me…” he hand brushed over my cheek. I gazed up at him, my eyes watching his, examining his face. There was nothing wrong, yet he could see somehow that my mind was whirling with questions about Rick and about Jadako. I shook my head at him, forcing a smile on my lips and easily convinced him that I really was just exhausted from the lack of solid sleep.

            I turned around and headed toward his bedroom without thinking about it and then stopped. “It’s okay…” he started at the door, leaning against the frame with a smile. “you can sleep in here, I mean you were earlier right?”

            Grinning back at him I stopped at the side of the bed curious about if I could give him the same feeling that he gave me. I bent over, showing off my ass as I climbed over the bed, crawling in an striking way before settled against the sheet. I sucked in my stomach, showing off what breasts I had under my solid colored t-shirt. Glancing over at Zane I noticed he was staring me, watching with desiring eyes, his chest rising and falling slowly, his heart thumping in his throat. He walked over to me, climbing into the bed with his towel still on.  “You’re doing this on purpose.” He raised an eyebrow.

            “You do it all the time.” I replied giving a giggling expression. So, it was affecting him.

            “Yes, but…” he was going to say something, something like yes, but I wouldn’t deny you. He didn’t say it though, and I had wondered if it was because he didn’t want to offend me. He would have been right about that. I shouldn’t tempt him, because I wasn’t ready. I needed to talk to Jadako. I needed to know what the hunters wanted what they were doing to try and save us, and who’s side Rick was really on.