What side are you on?

“What’s wrong?” I asked curiously, Zane stepping to my side and offering his ear to the phone.

            “I think I’m in love…” she chuckled to herself, and I could tell she was drunk off her ass. Zane released a sigh and shook his head as he walked and disappeared into his room.

            “Alice, are you okay? You sound a little…drunk.” I said bluntly, and she started laughing hysterically as if I had said the most ridiculously funny joke in all of history.

            “Oh, I’m totally drunk Aver.” She said mispronouncing my name. “Aves, Alvey…A-v-a.” she snickered and laughed through her nose. “So, I met this guy…he looks familiar but he is so sweet. He is bringing me home.” She snickered again. “Wait where did he go…Oh hey! Rick!” She shouted in my ear, and my eyes almost popped out of my head. It couldn’t be the same Rick could it? “Bye!” the phone clicked off. I stood there with the phone still in my hand, my mouth open, and my eyes wide. What would he say when he saw me? Why was he bringing her back?

            I shut the phone and looked at Zane’s door. He still hadn’t come out yet, so that was good, but at the same time it wasn’t. I started to pace back and forth wondering if this was some sort of trap. I stopped, took a deep breath in and then let it out. I had to calm down. I would just go to sleep and when he showed up, I wouldn’t be there. That would work right? No, I didn’t want Zane to deal with Rick all himself. I took another deep breath in walked over to Zane’s closed door. I leaned my head against it, but heard nothing. Zane didn’t know about Rick and Alice was too drunk to remember him.

            I knocked on the door and waited a few seconds before it opened. Zane stood before me, his hair starting to curl, his chest and legs bare, the only covering a simple white towel wrapped around his waist. “I was going to take a hot shower.” He said looking at me confidently and ran his hand through his hair. “Considering it’s pretty late and I won’t get back to sleep without one.” He giggled a little to himself. I nodded my head and stepped aside, my back to Alice’s door. With a sly smile he put his hands above me against her door, pinning me to the wall but not touching me as he gazed down with his eyes. “Want to join me?” he asked with a crooked smile, his irises big and bold.

            I opened my mouth to speak, feeling his hot breath against my face was making me nervous and warm. His face had a little bit of fuzz on it, his lips full and desirable, and his eyes tempting. There was that feeling again, the want to pull him into me, to have him in every way possible, the need to have us be one. How had things between us turned so quickly? Just a few weeks ago we had been simply friends, unaware of our feelings for one another, and now we were actually thinking about testing our bond…in that way. “No…” I could barely get out the rejection.

            His face hadn’t changed, but he pulled away and winked before disappearing into the bathroom. I slightly slumped against the door, as if letting my heart try and calm down. I could even see my chest move up and down. How did men have this effect of women? Did we indeed have the same effect? I had never tried…I was a virgin, and I was almost positive that Zane wasn’t. It was one of those things I would have to talk to him about. It was a girl thing I supposed; to want to know how many people the man you were thinking about having sex with had actually slept with.

            The front door opened suddenly; a woozy, wobbly, stuttering Alice walking through the door, slamming it against the wall. Rick was behind her, holding her sides so that she would slam into the floor face first. I walked forward cautiously, watching Rick. “Hey…” I said quietly. He put his hand up in a wave and then put his hands back on Alice. “What are you doing here?” I asked again, grabbing a knife out of the drawer while he wasn’t paying attention and putting it behind my back.