Emergency

I was knocked backward as Zane was pushed onto the floor, a wolf growling on top of him. He was a dark grey color, his muzzle angled and big, his paws big and pointed, and his tail high and white tipped. A low, retched growl came from his throat as he snarled in Zane’s face who was holding him back by the fur on his neck. Zane kicked forward with his feet and threw him over him toward me. I backed up in fright, stilled in shock and absolutely terrified. What was I going to do if one of them died?

            “Stop!” I snapped out as Zane started to shift, his darkened fur popping out of his skin. He was changing rather rapidly, so I knew it would be more agonizing than it normally was. His growls were immensely horrid to my ears, his shrieks piercing them and forcing my heartbeat to sound in places it shouldn’t. He stood back, his tail high as Jadako got to his four feet and stood in front of the door. I rushed over as he pounced forward and shut the door, hoping no one would come to investigate the commotion and twisted around just as Zane darted and snapped into Jad’s neck. I heard as he whimpered and slashed with his fine claws at Zane’s neck. “Please guys stop!” I screamed at the top of my lungs, but it wasn’t affecting them at all.

            The wolves rumbled around in the room and knocked over the table, breaking the glass and breaking into a million pieces. They were jumping this way and that, snapping here and there, scratching into each other’s flesh. There was blood oozing from Jad’s side, and out of Zane’s neck. Jad backed up, breathing in a lung full of air and letting them out just as quickly as he puffed yet was growling viciously at the same time. He was about to throw himself at him again, and the instinct to protect my friend, one of the people I loved, took over. I hurled myself at Zane, shocking him into retreat as Jadako’s razor teeth sliced my arm.

            A whimper escaped his black lips as he immediately let go and I saw in his yellow eyes the sadness and guilt fill them. I heard Zane behind me, his breath quickening as he looked at my arm, the sounds coming out his mouth louder and louder with each one. I struck a look back at him. “Enough,” I said. “I am tired of the violence. Look at what you two did?” I held my arm, but looked around at the broken glass my legs were grinding against, as well as their paws. His face calmed as he looked around, avoiding anything to do with Jad. Slowly he started to change, his fur falling to the ground and disappearing before it even hit the ground.

            He kneeled beside me, grabbing my arms and pulling me into him. “Let me see.” Zane whispered into my ear as he gave a harsh expression to Jad who was watching with concern. Zane had always been able to shift back and forth with ease. His father had taught him to do so many times when he was just a boy, and I think that it made him stronger as a wolf. He cradled my hand in his as his hand slid under my arm, careful to hide himself from the viewer and to avoid the wounds on the top and side of my arm.

            I looked down at it and winced as his thumb brushed over one of the puncture wounds. I knew it was an accident, but it still hurt like hell and made me want to yell at him. My arm was slowly losing blood from its veins. There was a long scratch in the middle of my forearm that went from the top to the bottom, a puncture wound on one side, and a long trail of blood sliding from the small incisions in between them. Zane made an unhappy face as he observed my arm, picking up a piece of his ripped clothing from the floor and wrapping it around my arm, tying it off between his teeth.

            “Are you okay?” I heard Jad ask beside me. I hadn’t even heard him change back as I turned toward him, blankness on my face as I nodded. He looked at me apologetically though I knew he hadn’t meant to do it. However, I was still very angry at both of them for attacking each other in the first place.

            “Jad…I…I think you should go.” I looked down, staring at my feet and knowing by the sting in my legs that I had a few pieces in my skin.