Lies, Lies, and You

Authors Note: A lot happens in this chapter, you learn a lot, but not everything, so be sure to pay attention. 

____________________________________________________

          What…” I choked, hardly able to get the word out.

          I heard static on the other line, me hardly being able to breathe. “They aren’t after all of you; you see, some of your friends aren’t exactly who they say they are.” I heard him chuckle a little. “They have to pay for what they have done in wolf city, killing humans.” I felt my throat close up at impossible thought. There was no way that was true. Killing humans? That was insane! “If you don’t believe me, ask any one of your little friends.” The line went dead, and the phone fell from my hands, my mouth still open, going dry.

          My knees started to shake, and I felt like the ground was moving in circles beneath me. I fell to my knees, feeling like whatever I had eaten in the past week was about to come back up. I heard the door to Alice’s room open, and she came toward me worried as she knelt beside me. “Oh my, Ava, are you alright?” she put her hand on my shoulder and I winced from her touch because it almost seemed to burn my skin. “What’s wrong?” she asked again, fear creeping in her voice.

          “Why…” I mumbled through my trembling lips. She shook her head, tried to put her hand on me again, and that’s what set me off. “Why did you do it!” I yelled, furiously enough to hurt my own ears. Dry tears were making my mouth feel numb and my eyes sizzle in their sockets.

          “Do what Ava…I don’t…” she started, backing up and holding out her hands.

          “Don’t lie to me!” I screamed again, standing up and balling my hands into such tight fists that I felt my nails dig into my palms. “You kill humans!” I felt a single tear fall down my cheek, and it was a relief.

          The look on her face was probably what hurt me the most; realization. She clasped her hands together tightly, making her knuckles turn white, and her mouth shut tightly, turning her skin a brilliant pale color. Zane came out of his room, looking between the two of us silently, but I wasn’t paying attention to him. “Answer me!” I screamed, more of the hot liquid spilling down my face.

          She started to whimper, crying softly and shaking her head as her face started changing colors. This time, she fell to her knees, her hands on the floor bone white. “I don’t do it…” she was shaking her head constantly like a bobble head; her tears were soaking the tile beneath her. “But…” she sniffed in. “Rosario, alexander…they run with the city wolves.” She looked up at me pleading for me to understand. “I only ran with them once, and realized they were monsters!” She was half screaming half crying. “I told you there were secrets…” she looked down again. “I told you…”

          I shot my head up to Zane who was staring at me with hollow eyes. “You,” I started to back up, hardly able to keep on my own two feet.

          He realized that I was talking to him, and fear kicked in. “no…Ava no…I,”

          “You what?” I screamed at him, knowing that he was a part of this. “Kill humans? That is sick Zane! I have lived with humans…I know them, I…” I started crying harder, backing up against the door.

          “I’ve killed a few, but I stopped a long time ago…please Ava.” He stepped around the ball of tears that was Alice, her head in her hands, her elbows on the floor.

          “No, you stay away from me!” I yelled, grabbed the handle and stood in the open doorway. “I,” my voice shook. “I need some time to think…” I looked at his wounded face, like I was the one who had done something terrible. His held out hand drew back, a small, simple nod being the last gesture I saw before I turned around and ran. I jumped over the rail, landing on all fours and stood back up as I ran around the building. I could feel the ache rise into my throat, knowing that my eyes were a piercing yellow.