Forgiveness Part II

I looked up at Zane, barley able to breathe. “You…what?” I asked with my eyes wide and lips parted. His jaw was tight, his collar bones sticking out spectacularly.

          “I love you,” he repeated what I had thought he said, but just couldn’t believe. Why, of all times, did he decide to tell me he loves me? Did I love him? I mean I had known him all my life, and of course I thought about it, and for sure I had feeling for him, but did I love him.

          “I-I love you…” I replied, thinking about how that kiss had felt and how his fingers on my skin tingled and rippled with sensation. I did love him, just like he, I had loved him the entire time wishing that he loved me too. I felt myself being wrapped up into him, his large arms squeezing me against him, pulling me closer than I had ever been before.

          Nothing mattered now; I didn’t care what he had done in his past because it was the past and it was done. Zane was someone I had always loved, even when I didn’t. He had always been there for me, ever since the day we met, but as I had my head against his chest a thought did cross my mind. Though Jad had done what he did, almost getting me killed, he had always been there for me too. He took care of me when I couldn’t let Zane do it even if he would have. I pulled him closer, trying to enjoy the time while we could.

          Harvey would figure out soon that Zane had killed the two hunters, and he would come looking for not just us, but everyone. I had a feeling that he wasn’t the type of person to give up easily on something. I looked up at him, his gorgeous eyes drawing me and watched his lips move. I didn’t hear what he said, but nodded my head anyway. Everything still hurt, and to much was going on, so I didn’t care what he was saying; I was going to agree.

          It wasn’t until he started pulling away and gathering my things that I realized he had said that we should leave. He pulled me outside and I noticed the red truck was gone and the sun was starting to rise. It had been a while since I had gotten a decent sleep. He grabbed my hand, his top half still bare, and walked out into the open. There were cars driving by, probably on their way to work, that looked very tempting. Every step sent shocks of pain through my ribs.

          I was relieved when Zane said he had brought a car and had tracked my cell phone. I wasn’t sure if I should be angry about it, but then realized that if he hadn’t of found me I would be dead with my head hanging up on a wall somewhere. We walked across the street to some fast food place where Alice’s car was parked. I wondered what she would think we I got there all bruised up. My guess was that she would probably want to kill Jad too, and she would flip when she realized who I was talking about.

          I was really surprised that Zane didn’t kill him, but then he probably didn’t because I asked him not to. If I turned my back he would go after him…that I did know. We got into the car and headed home. It was quiet, and I kept peeking over at his biceps and how they curved with his triceps, how it rolled into his perfect shoulders, and then protruded into a collar bone that was carved from stone like his chin. I felt that I was inching closer to him, and then stopped when I realized what I was doing.

          I looked over at the window praying that he hadn’t noticed. All I wanted to do was be near him like I always did. All I wanted was him like always, even when I was furious at him. The inside of the car was soft and cozy, the disappearing stars passing by slowly. It didn’t take long to get home to the angry yelling; Alice verses Zane and me.

          “What the fuck were you thinking?” She shouted at me, pushing the chair back as she rose to her feet while we stood in the kitchen keeping our distance from one another. “That guy from the store? Are you crazy? I should have known to report him! This is his entire fault! Uhg! Why didn’t you tell us!” she was furiously balling her fists together and stomping the ground.