Ch. 64 Public Humiliation

Ginny woke with a start, gazing around the empty Hospital Wing. Her head ached, making her vision blurry as she gazed around the room. Hardly anyone was there, and Ginny felt Harry's presence at the Great Hall. They probably forced him to come eat breakfast. Or lunch. Or dinner? Her sense of time was kind of off at the moment, so Ginny didn't even bother thinking about it.

Quickly blocking the Bond as to not disturb him, Ginny groaned, sitting up. Everything ached as she quickly tried to remove the blankets, but found she was hardly able to lift her arms. She sighed, looking around for her wand.

When she located it, she almost hit her head against the wall. It was on the other side of the bed, on a little table that would require her walking if she ever wanted to reach it. Ginny huffed, looking at the sheets.

"Oh bloody Merlin, I'm going for it." She whispered, eager to get the heavy, itchy blanket off of her. "Wingardium Leviosa!" She whispered. The blanket shook slightly, and she almost smiled, but then she noticed how the mattress was suddenly getting further from the ground and- Uh oh.

The bed snapped back into place, causing Ginny to flop back onto her pillow like a fish out of water. Her head collided with the bed frame, and sparks of pain raced down her head. "Sh-" The door opened, cutting off her next word.

Ginny dived back under the covers as quickly as she could, closing her eyes and listening quietly. Footsteps paced down the Wing and suddenly they halted beside Ginny's bed.

"I know you're awake," A voice said, shocking Ginny into a deeper silence. "You're either awake, or dead, because you aren't breathing." Ginny opened her eyes and saw the one person she didn't expect to see. Katrin Boyle.

"What're you doing here?" Ginny asked, sitting up slightly in bed as she tried to read Katrin's expression. That sentence brought slight color to her pale cheeks.

"It's nothing," The girl replied, then paused, "Madam Pomfrey tutors me sometimes. I want to be a Healer when I get older, so I figured this was the best training I could get and- never mind."

Ginny ignored the rambling and sat up straighter. "How did I get here?" She asked. Katrin bit her lip, cautiously looking over Ginny's face before answering.

"They found you half-dead in Arithmacy. Apparently you just knocked out, and after a while, people started noticing the cuts on your face. No one really knows what happened except for the professors." She explained. "Potter stayed here for hours, but they made him get up for lunch. He hasn't been in any classes, so I think he's been sneaking back here."

Ginny didn't even bother with Katrin's suddenly emotionless eyes, instead questioned her further. "Why are you being nice? You've been awfully mean to me lately and I-"

"I didn't mean to... It's just some personal things I have to get through, with my mum and other stuff." Katrin sighed, looking Ginny over one last time. "Madam Pomfrey said you have s bruised rib, cuts on your arms and legs, and smaller bruises scattered all over you. I'm sure she'll let you go soon."

"Okay, thanks." Ginny muttered, watching Katrin's quickly retreating figure with a puzzled expression.

///

Harry was ecstatic when Ginny limped into Defense that evening, finally getting past Pomfrey who had insisted on giving her Dreamless sleep Potions, like that would help. Chimpy could probably make her dream at anytime he wanted, the safest thing was to keep Ginny with Harry.

The girl sat down, taking Harry's hand under the table as he smiled brightly, rubbing his thumb across her hand. Moody rambled at the front, pacing the length of the room and taking swigs of whatever was in his cup. Then he stopped, his magical eyes swiveling towards the Bonded, looking straight at their intwined fingers that should have been covered by the table.

Before they knew it, Moody stood in front of him, looking over their faces. "Perfect. Perfect. You two, up front." He demanded, waving them over as he treked back to his desk. The Bonded exchanged glances, also looking over where Ron and Hermione were staring, worried, at the two.

They obeyed, standing at the front. Ginny was aware of the cuts and bruises down her arms and legs, but at least they'd been mostly healed. Everyone had gone silent, waiting to see what Moody was going to do.

"Okay class, here's a perfect example of what we're to be studying." Ginny almost shivered as he implied they'd be 'studied'. "Can anyone tell me what a Soul Bond is?" Several raised their hands, and Mad Eye pointed to where Parvarti sat.

"A Soul Bond is when two people magically evolve to have the same soul." She chirped, glancing at Ginny.

"Correct, and what does this do? How about you, Miss Granger?"

Hermione, sent a look at the two blushing kids before answering. "They become one. One soul, two bodies." She answered carefully, like she was afraid Moody would start showcasing her friends like circus animals.

"Correct. Now, what are some perks of being Soul Bonded? Now you, Miss Weasley." He turned to them, slightly smirking as his hands folded behind his back, spine rigid.

Ginny took a deep breath, glancing at Harry who urged her on. "You can sense where each other is at... Your magical core grows, and you mature at a faster rate." She said quietly, looking at the ground. Moody laughed, and it sent chills down everyone's spines.

"Indeed," His eye had an evil glint in it, making everyone shuffle uncomfortably. "And Mr Potter, what happens if one half of the Bonded Couple dies?" Mad Eye asked innocently. Harry stiffened, looking over to where the man had trained his eyes on Ginny.

"They... They die, sir." Harry whispered. Moody laughed again, his eye swiveling around the room.

"Ha! 'They die' he says. Is that what Dumbledore told you? No, they don't die. The one that was left behind now has only half of a broken soul. They become insane, suicidal, desperate for a way to get back to their deceased loved one." This time Moody's eyes were on Harry, and Ginny's stomach churned. "Now, you two, please hold hands if you will." The man grinned.

The two exchanged glances, but slowly took each other's hand. The glow was prominent, and made everyone gasp out loud. "Ah, do you two know what that means?"

"That we're Bound, we know." Ginny snapped, getting redder by the second. Harry sent a wave of calm at her and she sighed.

"No, what the glow is." Mad Eye now stood directly in front of them now, completely blocking them off from everyone else. "It's your soul, connecting at the middle. That's why you can't go long without touching each other. Being away from each other, it literally rips you apart." He whispered. Ginny now knew this wasn't just for class, something was going on with the professor, if not he wouldn't have blocked the rest of their classmates view.

"Take out your books." He snapped at the sniggering classmates. "If you don't believe me, turn to page 564." Everyone did so, looking at the page in shock, "Mr Weasley, please read the second passage aloud."

Ron glanced around, before clearing his throat and starting. "Though through history there have been many cases of a Soul Bond, the records have been destroyed. The last known record of a Soul Bond was in... 1993... When Harry James Potter and Ginevra (Ginny) Molly Weasley were Soul Bonded at the age of eleven and twelve. No new evidence found. How did it know that?"

"Oh, you see, that book is self-updating. It will have all the data on this new case at a later time." Moody smiled. "I believe the bell will ring soon. Class dismissed."