Chapter 44

"I don't want to" I say as he parks the car in the school parking lot. Holidays are over and now school starts. I don't want to go to school and have to deal with everyone again.
   "Tris" he says pulling the car keys and looking at me "Its school. You have to go"
   "But I don't want to be with everyone out there" I say pointing at the students, which actually are only a few. The school isn't that crowded as usual and everything looks more empty "They'll all just look at me with pity and make fun of me"
    "No Tris" he says "They won't" he gets out of the car and I groan loudly. I take a deep breath and slowly get out of the car. Tobias stands by my side and puts a protective hand on my waist as we walk together. He leads me at the cafeteria. He probably wants to buy water or something so I don't ask why we are going there. The door is closed and I hear a little whispering from inside. Tobias opens the door and the cafeteria is all decorated with balloons and comforting decorations and people jump off their jumping places yelling.
   "Surprise!" I am shocked at first but then Christina comes running towards me and hugs me tightly.
   "Welcome back Tris" she says as she sighs in relief "Im so happy you're okay" I look over at Tobias and see him smiling. Im one-hundred-percent-sure that he organized this surprise party. All of my friends—gang– hugs me and tell me how happy they are Im okay. In the cafeteria there are also people I don't really know well, but I don't mind. After the hugs everyone goes to drink some punch but Tobias said he could get me some so I sit down and enjoy the music as I look at the breath taking decorations. I feel a hand on my waist and I jump back to see who it is. Its Eric. My breaths get more heavy as I try to control my emotions.
    "What are you doing here?" I ask quietly. I take a deep breath so I can call Tobias but he places two fingers on my mouth and hushes.
"You wouldn't want him to get hurt, would you?" He asks and I furrow my eyebrows.
"What?" I ask confused. An evil smile is placed on his face.
"Do you want me to hurt your family?" He asks grinning evilly.
"You wouldn't dare!" I say as my eyes fill with tears. He just shrugs and says
"I could do anything and get away with it. But you can–" he says but then stops himself "You know what? Lets leave this conversation for another time. I bet you're still a little dazed from recent activities. But don't worry, we will have our little talk" he says and turns to the other side and says "If you speak of this conversation, your family wouldn't appreciate it. So keep your mouth shut" and he leaves. I just sit there staring at him as he walks away. My mind is dizzy and I can not think straight.
What did he want? Did I ever do something to him? Not that I am aware of, but I know Tobias did. The day Olivia came crying to my house, the day Eric touched me, the day when Tobias was angry with me. That day after school, Tobias beat Eric. He gave me a little hint, but it was obvious he didn't want to talk about it. I didn't want to push him.
Do you want me to hurt your family?
His words keep flying around my mind as I sigh and rest my head on my hands and my elbows are on the table. I feel a warm arm wrap around my shoulder as I lift my head up. Tobias sits next to me with a smile on his face as he offers me soda. I mutter a "Thank you" and open the can and take a sip. I stare into space as I replay Eric's words in my head.
"You okay?" Tobias asks. I stutter and turn my head his way. I let out a nervous laugh.
"Yeah, of course" I say smiling "Thank you so much for the party. It means a lot to me" I add and kiss his cheek. He nods but he still doesn't completely believe Im "okay"
I really want tell him what Eric said, but if I do something bad might happen, so i keep my mouth shut. The gang comes over and sits around the table. They all look at me in awe.
"Tris?" Marlene speaks up. "Look, we are so sorry for everything" she starts off as her eyes start to fill with tears "I swear that I...we...never thought we would have so much effect on you. I am so so sorry" She finishes as she lets out a sob and covers her face with her hands. Shauna, right next to her wraps her arms around her. At first I say nothing. Do I want to forgive them? My only friends? The ones that 'betrayed' me? Yes, yes I do.
"Look, its okay" I say "I-I guess its not, but I forgive you guys"
"So now we are super mega awesome best friends again?" Uriah yells exited as I laugh and shake my head.
"Sorry but no" I say laughing as he sits back down disappointed. I am not going to act like nothing every happened. They still did what they did to me. I trusted them more than I should of. I should be more careful now. It will take a lot of time until their trust is taken from me,p. Until then, I have to be indifferent. Trust them with little things, and never trust anyone with the big secrets. There is an awkward silence at first but them Christina speaks up.
"So you guys made up?" She asks pointing at our laced fingers and his arm around me. I nod smiling as I look at him. His eyes filled with happiness, love, but also unsureness and fear. I place a peck on his lips and rest my head on his chest. I close my eyes and take a deep breath and he strokes my hair.
    "Aw" Shauna squeals "You guys are too cute" she says and takes a picture of us as we laugh. He rests his chin on the top of my head and sighs as he holds me tight.
   "What about class?" I ask them "We have school right?"
  "School starts next week" Tobias laughs as he rubs my arm "I planned this party with your parents and the gang so we decided to lie that school starts today" I smile as I look at him. He is perfect, so beautiful and caring. He is everything I ever asked for. The gang keeps talking as me and Tobias stare at each other. Will asks something and the whole table gasps which takes our attention.
    "Shut up Will!" Christina yells at Will as she slaps him hard across the face. Zeke mouths something to Tobias and I am the only confused one.
   "What happened?" I ask. They all glare at each other.
   "Em...Nothing" Uriah says, obviously hiding something.
   "He said that Dauntless cake sucks" Lynn says and Uriah gasps. Obviously that wasn't it either.
   "Guys just tell me" I say "Its not like Im gonna freak"
   "Tris, trust me. You don't want to know. Just continue your sentimental staring contest with Four" Christina says and I groan loudly.
    "Just tell me–"
   "Tris, just leave it, please. Trust me. I can tell you later, but not here" Tobias says placing his hand on my shoulder, squeezing and releasing. I sigh the anger out.
   "But why can't I know?" I ask leaning on the chair.
   "Because you will have an emotional break down in front of the whole school and cry like a toddler that lost her lollipop" Uriah says fast and I furrow my eyebrows as Lynn slaps him. I sigh shaking my head.
    Everyone keeps talking about their vacations but I don't listen. I keep thinking of Eric. What does he want from me?
  Do you want me to hurt your family?
No. I don't want to. Is he planning to hurt me so he can hurt Tobias? When Im sad, or hurt, or crying, Tobias seems to be in the most pain. Maybe thats what he wants.
   I feel Tobias' hands on my waist as he lifts me up and sits me on his lap. I wrap my arms around his neck as I bury my face in his neck and let a few tears to quietly stream down my face, but I unnoticeably wipe them away before anyone can notice. He wraps his arms around me and strokes my hair. He hesitates but then whispers "If you trust me, tell me what's wrong" I pull back and look at him.
    "You don't want to know" I say.
    "Yes, yes I do. Whatever it is, I want to know what's bugging you" he whispers. I sigh as I close my eyes and blink my tears away.
    "Later" is all I say as I try to think of the lie I am going to tell him.