Chapter 41

Tobias POV

It has been a few days since Tris woke up. The doctors won't let me in and this time I have security guards surrounding me where ever I go. They think I would go see Tris, which they are right... But now I can't. I have been coming here everyday for one week-since the accident. No one has told her about Mason yet. She doesn't even know that he saved her. When she finds out, she will be crushed. Her parents keep telling me that I should tell Tris about Mason, they say she would handle it better if I was there by her side to comfort her.
Tris will be free to leave from the hospital today. I can't wait to see her again. I just want her by my side. I want to stroke her beautiful silk hair. To never leave the grip of her embrace. Her parents have been here all day helping her get ready. They told me she is very quiet, that she hasn't been talking and just stares down at her hands and looking at the burned scars. Her mom said that she has been ignoring everyone and when she is alone she keeps whispering things to herself. They have all been trying to lighten her mood but she has been like a statue.
   I see her walking down the hallway with her jacket on her hands as she stares the ground. Her hair is tied loosely with a hairband and her hair is over her left shoulder. Her family is behind her walking with her stuff on their hands.
   "Tris" I call and she looks up. The corner of her lips lift a little as I run to her and wrap my arms tightly around her. When I pull back, her smile is replaced by the straight face she had earlier, the face that everyone described to me, put I could never picture it. The sadness in her face makes me break. She keeps staring at the ground and avoiding any human contact.
   "Tris" I whisper as I place my two fingers under her chin and lift her head up so she can look at me.
   "Mhm? She hums. I want t be alone when we have this conversation, so I just touch my lips with her forehead and pull back after a few seconds. I stroke her hair while I place her head against my chest and whisper "I love you". She doesn't reply though. After a few minutes we pull back and start going to the parking lot. I try to have any conversation with her but she just doesn't reply and totally ignores me and everyone around her. Her mouth is closed and she doesn't smile like she always did. I am not used to seeing this kind of Tris. She usually was happy or crying. When she was crying she obviously was in pain and she was expressing her feelings, but the way she is acting now, she just makes me confused because she never acted like this. You can see that she is sad and in pain, but she just doesn't show it that much, and thats how I know that this is the saddest I have ever seen her.
   His father opens the car and I open the door for Tris. Without even looking at me, she just nods and goes in the car. I sit beside her and Caleb sits next to me. She stares out of the window as she is staring into space. She leans her head on my shoulder and I rub small circles on her hand as she keeps ignoring everyone. The whole car ride is quiet. When we arrive at our neighborhood we all get out of the car.
  "Em, can I come over? So we can talk?" I ask Tris quietly.
  "I want to be alone" she says avoiding eye contact and going inside the house as fast as she can. That's the first time she has talked all day. Her mother sighs as she looks at me.
   "Im sorry" she says "I don't know whats up with her. I'll call you when she starts to feel better, and more...social" she finishes and goes inside her house, Caleb and her husband following.
   The gang is in my house. They heard about Tris and they were taking care of Olivia. I slowly walk to my house. When I open the door I see them all sitting on the ground in silence. Zeke stands up immediately.
   "How's Tris?" He asks worried.
   "She's fine" I say.
   "Then why are you moody?" Asks Marlene.
   "Because she isn't talking to anyone and is quiet as hell!" I snap. "Please leave. I just want to be alone" I say and they all nod. Everyone gets their stuff and leaves in less than a minute.
   "Toby" says Olivia. I look at her and she is sitting on the couch. "Can you tuck me in? Im sleepy" she says. I sigh and nod. I pick her up and send her to her room. I slide her under the blankets as I kiss the top of her head. I tuck her in and turn off the lights.
   "Goodnight duck" I say jokingly and close the door. I go to my room and go to bed, not even bothering to change my clothes. I stare at the ceiling in darkness, thinking about everything that happened today, and wondering why Tris is acting so weird. I just really hope that she will turn back to her normal, happy and enthusiastic self again.