Chapter 40

Tobias POV
I sit up gasping and waking up. There is only one thing on my mind, where is Tris? I am at the hospital and I remember fainting. Now I am laying in a bed. I take off the bedsheets as fast as I can and start running to the front desk. Tris' family is in the waiting room, crying.
  "Beatrice Prior" I say to the lady in the front desk. "How is she?"
  "Im sorry, we still do not have any news from the operation room, but we will let you know as soon as there is information" she says and I nod. "Meanwhile you can sit with the Prior family in the waiting room". I nod again and slowly make my way towards them. When they see me, their faces are filled with disgust as they shoot me dirty looks.
"What did you do this time?" Her mother asks wiping her tears.
"I didn't do anything" I say and she rolls her eyes. "Why won't you understand that I love your daughter? Why do you keep thinking I want to hurt her and make her feel miserable when in fact I love her with my whole life? I love her more than anything! And maybe you can make her stop seeing me, making her hate me, but there is nothing you can do for the fact that I lover her! I deep down truly love her and even if I had to die just so she could be happy, I would!" I start off with a low voice, but then I keep raising it and at the end of the sentence Im practically yelling. My hands are fists, shaking like crazy and my eyes are filled with tears. I meant every word that came out of my mouth and I don't regret saying them. Natalie's eyes are also filled with tears, she covers he face with her hands and cries. She shakes as she quietly sobs. I sit down next to her and place my hand on he shoulder as she cries uncontrollably.
"Im sorry" I say, though I do not know what I am sorry about, I just say it to comfort her.
"I am the one that needs to apologize. I was to blind to see how madly in love you two were. Now it...it might be all over" she says.
"No, don't say that" I say. "Tris is strong, she will be okay, I promise"
-
After what seems like years of waiting the lady on the front desk comes to inform us. She doesn't look so happy, and the look on her face concerns me. I immediately stand up and so does Tris' family.
   "What is it?" I ask un patiently.
   "Well, Beatrice Prior" she starts off. "She had a few burns, and by a few I mean, quite a lot. Also she needs support for her lungs so she can breathe. She is still unconscious and in a couple of weeks she will be fine and free to go" she says smiling, but then something crosses her mind and the smile on her face immediately fades as she stares at the ground. "The we have Mason Flores. He got in the house to save Beatrice, he had a lot, a lot of burns. I am so sorry but he didn't make it" she informs and looks up to see our reaction. Natalie gasps and and covers her face crying. Andrew is still confused and his brain is still processing what the lady said, just like me.
   Its true I saw Mason as a competitor, but I never wanted him to die. I would never want that for anyone. He was a very nice guy, and he deserved to live longer. If anyone had to die, it should of been me. When Tris finds out she will be broken. I just stand there, standing still as I stare into space. I never knew Mason as a person, but he always seemed charming, dream full and kind. Every girl at school had a crush on him, he was the golden cool kid. Everybody loved him. What about his family now? What will they think? But most importantly, what will Tris think? I already know. I just wish and hope nothing bad will happen.