41. The Calm Before The Storm

Misaki POV
(During lunch ~ In the counselor's office)

"Future plans huh?" I mumble as I look at the little pamphlet that's given to all the third years about the career paths they could choose to take.

Today the third years are discussing with the counselor of what career plan they are choosing to follow and what college they want to attend.

I tightly hold onto the pamphlet in my hand.

As a child, I remember wanting to be everything. A firefighter, a doctor, a teacher or even a Power Ranger. My parents used to always encourage me to be whatever I wanted to be and I had so many different careers that I wanted to do... but now I no longer know.

I sigh. I used to have all these different careers in the back of my head as a kid, but now I don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

"Misaki Hoshina," my school counselor calls out my name and I take my cue to enter her office. "Good morning Misaki," my school counselor greets me.

"Good morning," I greet back and take my seat.

"Have you already adjusted to Aobajousai High?" My school counselor asks me and I shrug.

"I'm doing fine," I answer. "Its environment is pretty similar to Fukurodani Academy."

"That's good. If you went to Niiyama Joshi all girls school then you wouldn't be used to all the boys here now would you?" My school counselor jokingly says and I nod my head.

"That's true," I quietly answer.

Niiyama Joshi huh? I was supposed to go to that school, but I couldn't because I had to move to where Risa-nee lived when mom and dad died.

"Are you taking care of yourself properly?" My school counselor asks me as she scrolls down my records. "I notice you had many check-ups from the hospital about your right knee. There's even a note by your doctor to not push yourself too much in volleyball," my school counselor comments and I nod my head.

"I'm taking of myself properly. You don't have to worry," I answer.

"Do you have anyone watching over your health?" My school counselor asks me.

"I live by myself. My older sister checks up on me every once in while," I reply.

"How about your parents?" My school counselor asks. "They should know how hard you're pushing yourself in volleyball with your right knee--"

"They aren't here anymore," I reluctantly state knowing that my school counselor would probably mention it.

I don't like it when people get concern over me. Not being able to attend the high school I originally wanted to go to, having an injury that could cost me in the future if I continue playing, and the loss of my parents. People pity me because of that. This is why I don't want anyone to know.

It's better if they don't know so they wouldn't have to look down on me.

My school counselor clears her throat. "So Misaki what do want to do when you grow up?" She asks me.

"I'm not sure. I don't have any plans so far," I straightforwardly answer.

The room is quiet. An awkward silence. I could tell it's troubling my school counselor.