24. Starting Line Up

Misaki POV
(At the gym ~ Day before Inter-high Preliminaries)

Everyone causally sits down on the gym floor and the coach claps her hands to turn everyone's attention to her.

"Girls. I think you all already know who's playing for tomorrow, but I'm going to announce the starting line up for Inter-High Preliminaries right now," the girls coach says as she looks over to her clipboard. "Please stand up when I call your name."

"Yui, 3rd year spiker."

"Misaki, 3rd year setter."

"Ino, 1st year blocker."

"Riko, 1st year blocker."

"Haruhi, 2nd year spiker."

"Ayaka, 3rd year libero."

"Lastly Mihane, 1st year spiker."

The seven of us stand up after hearing our name be called.

The coach looks over to the team. "This is the team for the Inter-high Preliminaries. Does anyone oppose?"

No one goes against coach's line up.

"Great, this team will be the regular team. Some of you might get a chance to play as well when the time comes," the coach says as she closes her clipboard then smiles. "There are teams like Niiyama Joshi and Shiratorizawa playing tomorrow. Although they're known as top schools, we've been practicing our hardest everyday so for tomorrow let's do our very best to win!"

"Right!" Everyone shouts.

I tightly grip onto the volleyball. The Inter-high Preliminaries is only a few hours away now. I have been practicing for the past few months for this.

This isn't like in Fukurodani Academy. Oikawa and Iwaizumi are going to be there watching over me. I have to make all my plays count tomorrow.

I need to show them my skills, as the New Queen. 

"Misaki?" Yui waves her hand in front of my face and I jolt back surprised. "I called you out a few times, are you okay?"

"S-sorry," I stutter and try to keep my composure. "I was just thinking."

"Ohhh!!!! Is Misaki nervous for tomorrow?!" Mihane pops up with a silly grin on her face. "I guess even you can get nervous for a game huh?"

"She is human after all Mihane," Haruhi sighs then combs back her short brown hair with her hand. "You don't even seem nervous at all..."

"Of course I'm not! I'm super excited for tomorrow. I can't wait to see all the handsome, muscular guys there!" Mihane happily pumps her fists.

"Does she always think about guys?" Ino comments and Riko shrugs.

"Basically. That's her lifestyle. Eat, sleep, and boys," Riko says.

"It's not just the boys though. My childhood friend is coming too," Mihane says with a grin. "I can't wait to see her after so long."

My eyes slightly widen. I guess Mihane has a childhood friend that's going to watch her games.... that's like me in a way too.