“Rae and Craig are dating.” Katie blurted. Liz’s eyes went wide as she aimed her gaze at me.

“Way to beat around the bush, Katie.” I grumbled, avoiding eye contact with Liz, afraid of what she would say, or do. Avoiding eye contact because I know the conversation is going to be awkward… seemed like something new that I’ve acquired or taken up, like a hobby!

“Better to bite the bullet than have it lodged in your throat… I don’t think that’s quite the saying, but anyways! Rae and Craig are dating now!”

The cat was out of the bag, officially. I had forgotten that there was one person who didn’t know that meant a lot to me. Everyone else seemed to know about Craig and I, my parents, Katie, Kent, Jake, and now Liz. Before I knew it there’d be a book about it and everyone who read it would know about my stupid life!

“That was fast.” Liz commented.

“I’m so sorry Liz. I know you two were together. I would’ve told you, but it kind of just happened and we weren’t on the greatest of terms…” I trailed off, finally looking up at her through my eyelashes. With a hand of hers, she waved me off as if it was all nothing.

“He told me it wasn’t me and that it was someone else. I mean it obviously wasn’t me, I mean just look at me, but Rae. Now, that’s kind of a surprise, but I can’t say it’s a huge surprise. It honestly seemed like it would eventually happen.” My jaw dropped as Liz said this.

Katie nodded, “That’s what I thought.”

“What the hell is wrong with you people?! Why does everyone feel like this was going to happen?” I suddenly burst out. The two girls looked over at me and smiled.

“You don’t want us to bring up your pool time experience with him, now do you?” Liz asked, folding her arms across her chest.

“I believe that last time we did that she flipped out.” Katie explained.

“RBA!” They both shouted out at one another and with that followed a set of giggles from the two of them.

When they finally stopped laughing which seemed like a while, Liz shrugged and leaned back as if it was all nothing. “Guys, trust me when I say I’m over him.”

I asked, “Are you sure?” She nodded, but I still wasn’t convinced. How could she just say that? She had been with Craig for a while and she was so heartbroken when they were over, literally heartbroken. She was so messed up. All I could think about was when I found her that day in the bathroom. I had never seen her so traumatized. She wasn’t even that messed up when she came to us about her parents splitting.

“I mean yeah, we had some great sex and things, but it was nothing more than a fling. I wanted him, he wanted me and once we got each other, that was it. We didn’t need each other anymore.”

“So, the sex was good?” Katie asked, leaning forward on the bed. Liz laughed and sat back in the chair she was sitting on in the middle of her room as if remembering the experiences. “Oh hell yeah it was good, but then again Rae can tell you. She’s probably gotten with him more times than I did.” That’s when my cheeks flushed more than they had earlier.

The two girls laughed as if were agreeing with one another. I let out a breathy laugh as if to try and agree with them, but it just caused them to stop laughing and staring at me. “You haven’t slept together yet?” Katie asked. My gaze shifted to the suddenly interesting floor of Liz’s room, an awkward silence filing in. There was a creak of a chair and I looked up to see Liz leaning forward in her chair, eyes wide and jaw open in amusement.

“Craig Moore, dating a girl without fucking her?!” My cheeks heated up even more and this caused her to let out a giant laugh. “Holy shit! Craig Moore is actually dating a girl without having sex with her. Are you sure Rae? I mean you can trust us, we’re your friends.” I narrowed my eyes as her and she scuffed, “I would never do what I did to you before, but seriously. Does Craig have a girl on the side that he’s getting what he needs?” Katie suddenly lunged over and smashed Liz on the leg. “Ow!”