F

F - Father

Six months ago Connie had left the ED without a word to anyone other than Zoe, Charlie and Jacob.
The rest of the staff were shocked, because she hadn't given them any warning, instead she didn't turn up to work one morning.
In fact Jacob had seen her that morning, he had kissed her goodbye as she was lying in bed watching TV with her hands resting on her four month bump.
She gave birth five months later to a baby girl named Lily Marie Masters with Jacob by her side and Zoe and Charlie sat in the waiting room with Grace.

It had been a month since Connie had given birth and still none of the other staff new, and that was exactly how she liked it.
The only problem was when Lily started to develop a cough that wasn't going away and was causing her breathing problems.
Grace was already in school and Jacob in work so Connie wrapped Lily up in warm clothing and blanket before strapping her into the car seat and taking the short drive to the ED.

She carried Lily inside who crying and wheezing along the way.
She walked straight up to Ethan who was stood by reception and stood infront of him holding Lily in her arms.
"Mrs Beauchamp" Ethan said in shock.
"She's developed a wheeze and is having breathing trouble" Connie said.
"Right yes, through to resus please" Ethan said as he composed himself.
Connie followed him and many of the staff stopped to stare at her as she did so.
"Mrs Beauchamp?" Robyn asked in horror.
"Send Staff Nurse Masters to resus" Connie said then she walked away.

Connie laid Lily down on the bed and Ethan listened to her chest with his stethoscope.
"There is a slight wheeze, I'll run some tests, I think she has a viral infection so when we get the results we can treat it" Ethan told her.
"Thank you Doctor Hardey" Connie said with a smile then she gently took Lily's tiny hand in hers.
"Mrs Beauchamp, is she, well is she yours?" Ethan asked her.
"Yes Ethan she is" Connie replied.
"Ok, Louise can you run some bloods please? Is she up to date with all her vacinations?" Ethan said.
"Yes she is" Connie replied.

Ethan was asking Connie some more questions about Lily when Jacob walked in.
"Connie, what's happened?" He asked as he wrapped his arms around her waist shocking Ethan and Louise.
"She has a chest infection" Connie said.
"She's going to be fine though, now do either you or her father have any allergies?" Ethan asked.
"No" Connie and Jacob replied simultaneously.
"Sorry Jacob but it would be helpful if Connie could answer these questions, she is her mother after all" Ethan said.
"Dr Hardey, Jacob is her father" Connie told him.

"Oh my, wow, ok well I'll take these bloods to, see if they can rush them through" Ethan said awkwardly.
"Thank you Ethan" Connie said with a smile.
"You coming back to work then sweetcheeks?" Jacob asked.
"What?" Connie said.
"They know now, there's no point trying to hide the fact that you've gone soft" Jacob said with a grin.
"Jacob, I have not gone soft!" Connie said defensively.
"I know babe, I know" he said then he kissed the top of her head gently.