The Hanging Tree ~K

"It's just a stupid ghost story, Calum. A myth." Michael rolled his eyes at his friend.

Calum had been going on and on all lunch time about the local ghost story that has managed to spook everyone in the town. Except Michael. He didn't believe in ghosts.

"Ashton said he saw him!" Calum protested, glaring at the punk.

"Ashton is a liar. He only says those things to impress you."

Michael wished he could've taken a picture of Calum's face after the statement. It seems every inch of his skin was glowing red, his chocolate gaze falling towards the table. "Whatever." He muttered, causing Michael to burst out in laughter.

The bell rung and the two pushed up from their seats. They followed the stream of kids out the door and towards their next hell filled classes.

"I still think it's real." Calum shrugged, hooking his thumbs into the straps of his backpack.

"Just because a kid died there doesn't mean he became a ghost." Michael wasn't going to let himself lose an argument. Like always. But still, Calum wasn't to be discouraged.

"If you think it's so fake, then I dare you to go." Calum challenged. He hoped to see some type of worry spark in the punk's eyes but they remained calm and impassive. He began to wonder if Michael was capable of any emotion besides sarcasm.

Michael's eyes lost their once captivating sparkle two years ago after breaking up with his long term boyfriend. Calum was positive he had never seen his best friend so in love with someone. But he's also never seen him break so easily.

Michael's boyfriend, Ashton, decided he wasn't good enough for him anymore for some idiotic reason. Instead of vocalizing that, Ashton cheated on Michael.

The punk was thrown into a downward spiral of depression. No matter how hard Calum tried, Michael was never the same since. He just wanted the boy to feel again.

"Fine." Michael gave in. "I'll go tonight and humor you." His tattooed fingers ruffled Calum's hair.

Calum cheered as he frantically raked at his messed up locks. "Just promise not to die. I kind of like having you around."

Michael scoffed, "Kind of?"

But Calum was already walking the opposite way, leaving Michael to plan out his evening.

-

Michael's POV

Fantastic idea, Michael. Let's visit a creepy ass tree in the middle of a graveyard. At night.

It was freezing outside. Wisps of silver clouds blurred the full moon's milky rays. Most of the stars were visible here thanks to the lack of light pollution. My breath turned into vapor, mixing with the darkness.

I trudged up the hill towards the black gate of the graveyard. I hated the eerie silence that swallowed everything around me. My only company was the voice in my head shouting for me to turn around and get the hell out of here.

Damn curiosity.

My hands wrapped around the the cold metal of the gates and yanked on them, praying they weren't locked. I silently cheered as the doors pushed open, cringing as a horrific shrieking noise ripped through the silence.

My gaze immediately swept around the area in case a murderer heard and decided to sneak up on me. I've watched enough horror movies to know this is the part where I die.