22). Nothing's Hotter Than Climate Change

Resting my head on my hands, I stare down at the toast in front of me. I don't want to eat it, I never eat breakfast, and this would be no exception. "Honey aren't you going to eat your toast?" My mom asks, and I look up. She doesn't look like my mom but then again I haven't seen my own mother in ages.

Maybe it isn't my mom.

Maybe she's just trying to get inside my head.

"Nora!" Ben growls and I snap out of it, realizing my hand's twisted around the butter knife. I don't know why I'm so paranoid, my hands shake, and I jump at the slightest of noise.

"Uh, I'm not hungry." I lie, pushing the plate away, I hated wasting food. To be honest, I had no idea why we're all eating breakfast together like nothing's happened. It's meant to be a happy family breakfast, except for the fact two people are missing.

"I'll eat it." Ben grumbles and I push the plate towards him with a grateful smile. He still hadn't told my parents about the pills, and I was starting to feel the effect of my addiction. It wasn't like any feeling I could explain, craving the pills, needing them. My body shakes without them and I feel like somethings crawling beneath my skin.

Blinking, I try ignoring my burning eyes and focus on the wooden table. My mom and Ben are now talking about curtains, new ones, ones that are yellow and pretty.

I never liked yellow.

Bawling the sleeves of my shirt up, I try thinking about something else. As much as I wanted to tear down the curtains, I don't think it's a good idea.

Ben's staring at me, I can see him through the strands of my hair. He knows what's happening to me but I we both don't know the full effect. I would google it, if I knew the actual drug name but I didn't.

I don't blame Pete for selling them, a kid's going make a living one day. I'm just lucky that Ben pinned him against a wall before my addiction could get worse. I say lucky because that's what I've been telling myself to say, in reality I feel unlucky.

"Honey?" My mom continued, waving a hand in front of my face. Her yellow carefully painted nails messing with my mind.

"She's fine." Ben replied for me, taking a bite of toast. "Nora's just a little tired after spending time with Jack."

"How is Jack?" My mom asked, staring at both me and Ben. She knew something was up, and so did we. My mom didn't put on a sick happy smile just to make us toast, and act like a happy family.

"Good." I mumble, feeling a blush creep onto my cheeks. As much as the world felt fucked up, I did love Jack.

I'm not the only one who loves Jack too, Cecilia, the bitch. I had almost forgotten about her, the bitch wrapped up in an innocent smile. She blackmailed Pete just to go out with Jack, who does that? She is also the reason why I can't get any pills anymore.

"Rub-Ben-Nora. You look ill, are you sure you're alright? Your hands are shaking." She continued, placing a hand on my forehead. I can tell she's concerned but my mom doesn't have the right to be. I don't remember the last time I was sick and she looked after me. It was always Ben or the Barakats.

"She just over dramatic." Ben replies rolling his eyes, him interrupting before I could get a word in is getting on my nerves. Tapping my hands against the wood table, I almost want to blurt out from my mom to cut her crap. Instead, I just glare at Ben. "Shut up."

"Ben, Nora, both of you stop bickering." my mom cut in, pressing her hands against the side of her head. "Look, I know this breakfast thing seems so fake but I wanted to do something nice before your father and I go away.