I can't tell the story twice so you won't here it again.

'Neah'. That was me trying to say no.

I knocked on the door a couple times and my dad popped up and opened the door as he made his way back to his office which was situated between the kitchen and the downstairs toilet.

"Hi dad!" I said.

Stupid. Idiot. I could have slapped myself.

Okay so that might not have sounded so weird to you but it sounded insanely weird to both me and my dad. I mean for starters I rarely said hi these days, and then I said dad. I don't say dad. I say daddy. And why did I shout it? And when his back was turned and he was almost half the way away from me.

God could I fail any further?

He turned around and gave me an odd look. Shit. He knows. I felt a firm blush rise to my cheeks.

"Hello." He said.

I pursed my lips. Dammit.

"What is it." He said slowly, making his way over to me.

I looked up at him.

"Darren just tell me." He sighed. "I already saw Darren drop you off."

My eyes went wide. "You did?!"

"No but I heard a car drive here pause and drive on and then you were home. Guessed it could have been him and that just confirmed it."

"Shit dad I-"

"Just what is it?" He asked firmly.

So he didn't want me to explain. That was super okay with me.

I sprung the first awful lie that came to mind."Can I go to library with Darren? We got paired for science and-"

"Sure."

I stared at him. I stared at him some more. I cocked my head slightly.

"Really?"

He nodded.

There was a little more of a silence and I watched him curiously as though he might, at any time, pounce on me cackling saying he would never let me do that and that it was all a plan to secretly murder Darren in his sleep.

No. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I just gave him a small smile and an awkward hug and ran up to my room to change.

I pulled on a pair of loose-ish dark blue travel jeans with metal heads popping up along the sides of the pockets and down bottom and a massive green save the aliens T-shirt I'd made on holiday with my grandparents who were making charity gifts.

My initial thought was. I was not going to make a big deal out of this. I was going to go there all casual and be all not interested and go home and hope dad never notices that the library would be closed in about an hour.

However when I passed the open door into my sisters room and I saw the make up bag on the table and a little array of nail polishes on the mantel piece beside the window.. I just had to fiddle with something.

So I toyed with some of the cosmetics in the golden zip up powder bag and eventually found a brown liquid eyeliner.

I looked into the mirror and then back at the eyeliner. Slowly convincing myself that it was worth a try. And as I applied the eyeliner along top top line of my eyelashes I imagined Miguel looking at me and seeing how sexy I looked and being shocked. And afterwards I smacked myself mentally for even wanting him to like me like that despite how much I knew something like that with a man like him would never work.