Hollow earth island

Everything felt a little fuzzy for Zen, like she had been awoken from a deep sleep. Her brain was registering that someone was nudging her shoulder and calling her name but she was so tired that she didn't know how to respond. It took a couple of minutes for her eyes to focus on the familiar curly hair of her friend, "Merrick", she croaked out. The silver ranger's head was positioned a few inches away from her face. She could feel his hand on her left shoulder, "Dude, have you never heard of personal space", she added and pushed him away.

"Yup you're absolutely fine", he chuckled, "can you sit up?" Zen reluctantly complied and got a good look at her surroundings for the first time. They were no longer inside a cave, instead they were on a beach. It didn't look like the beach though, the sand was dull brown instead of the golden colour she remembered. In fact every looks a little grey, the sea, the sky even the trees in the distance.

"Where the hell are we?" Zen asked the silver ranger, "it feels like we've been swept into a black and white movie".

"Somewhere in the hollow earth", Sasha made her presence known for the first time. She had returned from the undergrowth that led down from the side of a hill. "I can only see the ocean in every direction", Charlie continued, "there's a slightly bigger hill over there but I can't see any towns".

"How big is the island?" Merrick said to the green ranger.

"Not very big", Charlie replied, "a few square miles if that".

"Any sign of Taylor, Eric or Billy?" Zen asked.

The white ranger shook her head, "Not that I can see but they can't be far away". She paused for a moment and gave Zen the once over, "Are you alright to walk?" The gold ranger nodded and with Merrick's help, she slowly rose to her feet, "There's a clearing on the other side of that hill, maybe some local's live there".

"It's a long shot but I haven't got a better idea", Merrick shrugged and the quartet traipsed off into the undergrowth.

As the Rangers hiked up the hill, they tried to reach Grace on the Gotengo but they weren't getting through. Something was blocking their morphers and their cell phones weren't picking up a signal either. They reached the summit of the hill and began to traverse the other side. As they did, Merrick noticed something in the distance, "That looks like smoke", he pointed towards a small column of white smoke rising up into the sky.

"You're right", Sasha replied, "quickly that way". The four ran down the side of the hill as quickly as possible, being careful not to trip. The smoke was become more prominent so they knew they were getting close. The ground began to level out and they found themselves in the clearing Charlie had spotted from the hilltop. Sitting cross-legged on the ground was Billy, he was poking a small camp fire with a stick, "Billy, you're alright", Charlie called out.

Billy quickly jumped to his feet, "Yeah I'm fine, I see you four got teleported here too".

"Yeah but where are we?" Charlie asked.

"Somewhere cold", Merrick warmed his hands using the fire, "we're definitely not California anymore". He gestured to the fire and turned to Billy, "At least you had the good sense to make a fire".

"That's the weird thing", Billy answered, "I didn't, I thought you four did". The rangers shook their heads, "If it wasn't us then that only leaves one possible answer".

From behind the tree, a slow handclap echoed across the deserted island, "Stealing our fire now", Taylor said, "and the rangers sinks to a new low". The yellow ranger gave them an arrogant smirk and just a few paces behind her was her Husband. Eric averted his gaze from the rangers but tellingly, he wasn't looking at his wife either.