The Lure

Ten minutes later a fully dressed Charlie and Sasha attempted to rouse Alpha. Unsurprisingly they were greeted with a mixture of groans, grumbles and threats of bodily harm, however, all three rangers were in an unused reception room. Sasha  opened the laptop and booted it up. Suddenly the screen went black before a game logo appeared, accompanied by loud music and bright flashes, "League of Legends?" Alpha and Sasha slowly turned their heads towards Charlie, "you play League of Legends", she added with a snigger of laughter.

"Laugh it up you lot", Charlie snorted, "I only played this to improve my battle strategy". She folded her arms and observed the disbelieving looks from the team, "that's all, purely for educational purposes", she added defensively.

"Sure Charlie", Sasha stated absently whilst looking at Charlie's onscreen avatar, "and I suppose the big boobs and tight armour are education too".

"As amusing as this has been", Alpha continued, "what's the purpose of this?"

"What we need is someone on the inside", she add and began typing a message.

"A contact who plays League of Legends?" Alpha stated sceptically, "what kind of mad person would possible want to play a ten year old computer game?" The camera feed flashed into life, revealing the familiar face of Nate, the Beast morpher gold ranger, "Hey Charlie" he greeted warmly before setting eyes on Sasha and Alpha, "didn't realise we'd have an audience".

"There's a perfectly good explanation", Charlie began, "We're working to unmask the traitor and clear our names".

There was a brief pause and Charlie agonised over the gold ranger's response. Nate was probably the hardest person to read she ever encountered, however, he had the best instincts of any officer she ever worked with and that was without using his aura reading ability. Therefore she wasn't surprised when he merely shrugged and replied, "Alright what can I do to help?"

"Can you search the SPD database for the name Kenzi."

He began to type into another computer, still half facing the screen, "That all you've got, just the name Kenzi?"

"No", Sasha sighed, this was the point of no return. If she finished her sentence then there was a very real chance one or both her parents could go to prison. There could also be a chance they were innocent of any crime. The question was, did she want to know the truth? This situation wasn't purely about her though, there were also the lives of her team to consider. A bit of personal pain was a small price to pay for their freedom, "Also run a search for Dr. Oliver or Kimberly Hart in the staff files", she added.

"You sure about this?" Charlie asked and squeezed her hand.

"Not really but everyone deserves to know the truth", Sasha smiled in response.

Their moment was spoilt by a loud bang from Nate's end of the connection, "That can't be good", he began, "level 10 access needed to view any searches relating to Kenzi".

"Supreme Commander level", Alpha grunted, "only they can put flags on files to restrict files to level 10 access".

There was silence from both ends and Charlie watched with some concern as Nate began to frown deeply. The gold ranger rarely frowned so the only logical conclusion was that he had found something disturbing, "Nate, what else is there?"

"Sasha's parents", Nate began slowly, "well her mother specifically, did you know she was a research scientist?"

Sasha frowned, her mother had never shown any aptitude for science to her knowledge, "You sure you've got the right person?" In response Nate swung the screen around he was looking at, revealing a staff picture of a young Kimberly Hart, "I-I didn't know".

"It gets worse", Nate began darkly, "in 2002 after TimeForce arrested Ransik she began working on a MONARCH project on somewhere called Skull Island".

"2002?" Sasha whispered, "isn't that the same year of the parents accident that gave B Squad their powers".

"Not just the same year", Nate paused and sighed, "it was the same experiment."

A veil was lifted from Charlie's vision, suddenly everything was becoming clear. Sasha's mother had created and coerced some scientists into a questionable experiment on Skull Island, which then backfired horribly. No wonder Dr. Oliver was called upon, her mother probably asked him to make the whole thing go away. Next to her she could feel the tension in Sasha's body, she never knew her real parents and by a cruel twist of fate, it was probably Sasha's parents who had been partially responsible for that, "Sasha", she said quietly, "speak to me".

Charlie gently rubbed Sasha's leg but the green ranger knew she was thinking deeply. After a few seconds of silence she blurted out, "Who else knew about this project?"

"Anubis Cruger, Doctor Manx and one other", Nate replied and opened up a personnel file. There was a large gasp of shock as they took in the image, "Exactly what I thought", the white ranger sighed.

The stunned silence drifted on for several moments, however, the more everyone thought about the final person the more everything made sense. Only one person realistically had the power to pull something like this off over such a long period of time, "Nate, tell the traitor to be at this address by noon tomorrow", Sasha stated, "that's the plan, we bring the person responsible here and end this".

A general murmur appreciate rolled around the room, "You've got balls I'll say that", Alpha snorted. Charlie had to agree and wrapped her girlfriend up in a one armed hug. They had a few hours to plan but if they had their way, everything would end tomorrow.