Backfired

The following morning at precisely 0704 hours, four of the five rangers had assembled in the outdoor training facility. Sasha was busy stretching, Bulk was sitting and Skull was doing a handstand, Carter, on the other hand looked annoyed. He checked his watch every few seconds, lowering his arm several times with an increasingly loud grumble. Ziggy stood with his arms folded across his chest with a look of mild satisfaction, "Not a great start", he commented, "four minutes late".

"Thank you Ziggy we can tell the time", K sighed, "according to the security systems Charlie clocked out the Gotego an hour ago", the doctor added after consulting her datapad.

"I'm beginning to regret these orders already", Carter grumbled.

"Just beginning Sir", Ziggy snorted,

"Talking about me?" the trio jumped at the sound of Charlie's voice, "I thought my ears were burning". The black ranger untied her hair briefly to free up some strands that were sticking to her forehead before securing it back with a hair tie. Ziggy noted the thin sheen of sweat across her forehead.

Carter let out low growl, "You're late", he stated.

"Sorry my ten mile run time must've slipped in the last few months", Charlie replied with a raised eyebrow, "I used to be able to do that in under an hour, really must work on that".

K and Ziggy glanced at each other quickly, "You've been out running since 0600?" Kat asked, drawing a snort of derision from the former red ranger.

Charlie shrugged, "I used to get my team out running laps even earlier than that". The gold ranger stood on one leg and stretched out her quad muscle, "We can began whatever you've got planned now", she added blankly.

"Now that you've graced us with your presence", Carter began with an acidic tone, "we will be going through the basic training".

"Not that", Sasha groaned, still standing on her head, "I never do very well at that one".

Carter then turned to Sasha, "Doctor K, I and Ziggy will be in the control room, you can watch from observation and wait your turn". Charlie didn't need a second invitation and confidently strode towards the training area but not before giving the rangers a confident smile. Morgana, Bulk and Skull headed towards the observation room.

Upon entering, Charlie found the set up very similar to what she remembered. The room was mocked up like a typical downtown street with several parked cars and other objects to provide cover. The buildings either side were close together to give the set up a very claustrophobic feel. Charlie tightened her grip on her weapon, knowing Carter it was highly unlikely that she would get a warning before the simulation began.

The next thirty seconds were a blur as Charlie exchanged attacks with a number of attackers. One by one the simulated assailants fell to direct strikes to the chest until there was just the original gunman and his hostage, "Last chance", the black ranger called out almost as a type of growl. She barely finished her sentence before swinging her axe and striking directly into the red guy's head. Instantly the virtual gunman dropped the hostage before the simulated humans faded away. Charlie rested the axe on her shoulder with a satisfied smile.

She was in the process of reviewing her hits using the holographic playback when Carter, K and Ziggy entered, "Not bad, little off of center but it won't take long to get my eye back in", she commented. In response there was nothing but silence which was a concern to the new green ranger, "tell me I passed?"

"I would", Ziggy began, "but you apparently failed the exercise".

Charlie stood dead silent for a couple of moments in an attempt to process the words that came out the green ranger's mouth. It took her a little bit of time but eventually she was able to mutter, "I failed?"

"Rules of engagement", Carter quoted from the rule book, "in the event of a hostage situation, you must attempt to negotiate the safety of the hostages before engaging".

The black ranger wanted to disagree but technically it was correct. Instead she huffed and shot back, "You knew, you deliberately engineered my failure". She growled.

Fury flashed across Charlie's eyes and she took a couple of menacing steps towards Greyson. For a brief second it looked like she was going to slug Carter but just inches away from him, Charlie thought better of it, "Go on swing", Carter goaded.

"You'd like that wouldn't you", Charlie spat, "but you're not getting rid me that easily. Charlie stood back, "Must be nice, being a legendary ranger, clearly it opens doors that anyone can walk through", she hissed venomously.

"I don't think you should be talking about privilege to me" Carter retorted, Charlie turned on her heel and stomped away, "We're not through with the testing yet", he called out.

"Fuck you", Charlie bellowed,. That got the attention of Sasha, Bulk and Skull and they allowed Charlie to leave, not that they would've had much chance of stopping her. She slammed her hands into the door before shutting it with a massive bang.

The sound of the banging door reverberated around the room and it was still going on when K said, "That went well", she snorted, "I hope you two are happy with yourselves".

"If it takes her down a couple of pegs then what harm can it do?" Carter replied.

K sighed, "You do know that the observation rooms are sound proof", Carter frowned in confusion, "He other rangers no idea what happened in here and by letting Charlie walk out, you've given her full reign to be painted as a martyr fighting back against her biased superior". Carter flashed a quick look at her as the weight of K's words sunk in, "Men, you never look more than a few feet in front of your noses". It was K's turn to slink away, followed quickly by Ziggy, leaving Carter alone to ponder if he had just made a huge error of judgement.

Outside the range, Charlie was still fuming. She stomped back towards the Gotengo, her room. She knew that her appointment as a ranger wouldn't be popular but to have Carter deliberately go against protocol just to teach her a lesson, that was a low blow.

She was almost back to the Gotengo when the sound of someone calling her name finally reached her ears. Turning sharply she was surprised to see Sasha, Bulk and Skull, "Come to gloat too", she snorted.

"No I've come to check on you", Sasha stated.

Charlie snorted, she had simply come to check that she was alright. " Just leave me alone".

Sasha gaped at the woman before her face hardened, "Fine, whatever", she finished with a shrug.

Charlie cursed herself for allow her temper to dominate her emotions. " Guys I'm sorry "

Sasha sighed, " What happened?" Charlie sighed and sat down, Sasha sat next to her, Bulk and Skull stood opposite to the girls.

" They purposely engineered the test for me to fail" Charlie replied.

" To teach you a lesson?" Skull asked, Charlie nodded, " What a bunch of dicks" Bulk added.

Charlie snorted with laughter, Sasha smiled.

" Look Charlie I know we don't get along well, both being manipulated by Evil" Sasha said, she looked at Charlie " They made us their bitches and now we're forever tainted by them"

Bulk nodded " If Tommy was able to shake that taint off you can to"

" You think so?" Sasha asked.

" I know you can" Skull replies.

Sasha hugged Charlie, who shocked at first hugged back

" We're the power Rangers " Charlie began " We can do this "

They then pulled in Bulk and Skull for a group hug.

Power Rangers Kiryu Forceजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें